1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum hit by bullet

1. Nov 20, 2005 #1
    A bullet, 10g, hits a pendulum, 2kg. The center of mass of the pendulum rises a vertical distance of 12cm. Assuming the bullet embeds itself in the pendulum, calculate the bullet's initial speed.

What I did was assume that at 12cm vertical distance the pendulum and bullet are momentarily at 0m/s velocity, and all their energy is gravitational potential, so mgh = 2*9.8*0.12 = 2.36J. The bullet's inital speed could be found by assuming the pendulum was at rest before being shot, and its GPE was 0. So, 2.36J came from the bullet, and 1/2mv^2 shows that v^2=472m^2/s^2. Taking the square root, v=21.7m/s.

Now, my professor says the answer is 308m/s. 21.7m/s is quite slow for a bullet...
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2005 #2

the speed you have of 21.7m/s is the speed of the pendulum/bullet system. Energy is conserved.

you still have one more step to find the initial speed of the bullet, where energy is not conserved.
  4. Nov 20, 2005 #3
    I think I got it. Momentum during the collision is conserved, so Velocity of the block+bullet = m(bullet)*v(bullet)/(m(bullet)+M(block)). Then I use that V in the KE and GPE conservation equation, and I did get 308m/s.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?