How to Calculate Instantaneous Impact Force in a Pendulum Impact Tester?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the instantaneous impact force in the lower dead center of a Charpy hammer, using information such as nominal potential energy, drop height, and impact velocity. However, the person asking the question is unsure how to calculate this without knowing the impact time or acceleration. They have also searched for answers but have not found any.
TManer
TL;DR Summary
I need to calculate instantaneous impact force in the lower dead center of Charpy hammer.
Hi there,
First of all i want to apologize for my english, but i am not from english speaking country, so i am not perfect in it.
Now for the question. I need to calculate instantaneous impact force in the lower dead center of Charpy hammer knowing nominal potential energy in lower dead center, drop heigh and impact velocity. I can also get informations like weight or which material i am going to break (if that helps). I am not saying that i can't get another informations, but i just can't figure out how to calculate this without knowing the impact time from release or acceleration. So how can i calculate this or eventually what another informations do i need?

Thank you for all the answers.

edit: i have searched some posts here, but i have never found any answers

Engineering news on Phys.org
What you are asking is impossible. There is no way to calculate this.

1. What is a pendulum impact tester?

A pendulum impact tester is a scientific instrument used to measure the impact resistance of materials by dropping a pendulum onto a sample and measuring the energy absorbed by the sample upon impact.

2. How does a pendulum impact tester work?

A pendulum impact tester works by first raising the pendulum to a specific height and then releasing it to swing and strike the sample. The height of the pendulum and the weight of the pendulum are known, and the energy absorbed by the sample upon impact is calculated using the height and weight of the pendulum.

3. What types of materials can be tested with a pendulum impact tester?

A pendulum impact tester can be used to test a wide range of materials, including metals, plastics, composites, and ceramics. It is commonly used in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and construction to evaluate the impact resistance of materials used in their products.

4. What are the advantages of using a pendulum impact tester?

One of the main advantages of using a pendulum impact tester is that it provides a standardized and repeatable method for measuring impact resistance. It also allows for quick and efficient testing, making it a valuable tool in quality control and material development processes.

5. How accurate are the results from a pendulum impact tester?

The accuracy of the results from a pendulum impact tester depends on several factors, such as the calibration of the instrument, the sample preparation, and the testing conditions. However, when used correctly, a pendulum impact tester can provide highly accurate and reliable results, making it a valuable tool for material testing and research.