Calculate RPM From Pendulum Swing Set

In summary, Mike is trying to find an equation to calculate the RPM of a the output shaft of a swing set that can convert kinetic energy into mechanical energy. If damping is not too strong, he can use the equation for a pendulum. If damping is significant, the equation get more complicated and depends on the type of damping.
mikej4823
Pendulum into RPM??

Hi

I'm trying to throw together a concept design for a swing set which can convert kinetic energy into mechanical energy. In short I would like a swing set, using one way roller bearings to drive an output shaft but am unsure where to start.

If I have a mass (m), suspended at a length (L) with a angle of swing (θ), does anyone know how I would get to a point to calculate the RPM of a the shaft.

I am thinking I need to calculate the Kinetic Energy, Time taken for one complete swing (θmax), Torque and RPM?

Any help would be much appeciated. (I havn't included numerical units as they don't yet exisit, I'm trying to get the step by step process in place first)

Thanks

Mike

Physics news on Phys.org

Can you add a sketch of your setup?
Does it help to determine the (linear) speed of the pendulum at its lowest point? You can get this via energy conservation.

View attachment swing.pdf

Here is a rough sketch. Hope it helps a little.

As I say I am trying to work towards an output shaft RPM.

Please note all dimensions etc are ball park.

Thanks

Mike

Ah.
If damping from your shaft is not too strong (=> the amplitude difference within one swing is small), you can use the common equations for a pendulum (wikipedia, ...). If damping is significant, the equations get a bit more complicated, and they can depend on the type of damping.

I'm assuming minimal damping. I will just use conservative numbers later on.

Are you referring to T=2∏√L/g ?

That is one of those formulas.

Angular velocity follows a sine curve:
$$\omega(t)=\omega_{max}\sin(\sqrt{\frac{g}{l}}t) $$
Energy conservation: ##mgl(1-\cos(30°)=\frac{1}{2}m \omega_{max}^2 l^2##
$$\omega_{max}=\sqrt{\frac{g}{l}(2-\sqrt{3})}$$

If you don't care about the instantaneous angular velocity: Each timestep of T, you get 60° rotation of you shaft, which corresponds to one revolution per 6T.

Thats brilliant thank you. I will spend some time throwing some numbers into it.

Much appreciated from a Mechanical engineer ha

1. How do you calculate the RPM from a pendulum swing set?

To calculate the RPM (revolutions per minute) from a pendulum swing set, you will need to measure the period of the pendulum. This is the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing. Once you have the period, you can use the formula RPM = 1 / (period in minutes) to calculate the RPM.

2. What is the formula for calculating the period of a pendulum?

The formula for calculating the period of a pendulum is T = 2π√(L/g), where T represents the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). This formula assumes a small angle of swing (less than 15 degrees).

3. Does the length of the pendulum affect the RPM?

Yes, the length of the pendulum does affect the RPM. According to the formula T = 2π√(L/g), the period of a pendulum is directly proportional to the length of the pendulum. This means that as the length increases, the period also increases, resulting in a lower RPM. Similarly, a shorter pendulum will have a shorter period and a higher RPM.

4. Can the RPM of a pendulum swing set be used to measure time?

No, the RPM of a pendulum swing set is not an accurate measure of time. This is because the RPM can be affected by external factors such as air resistance and friction. Additionally, the pendulum's period can vary slightly due to the amplitude of the swing and the length of the pendulum, making it an unreliable measure of time.

5. How can the RPM of a pendulum swing set be used in real-life applications?

The RPM of a pendulum swing set can be used in various real-life applications, such as regulating the speed of machinery, determining the strength of earthquakes, and even in clocks and timekeeping devices. It is also commonly used in physics experiments to demonstrate principles of motion and gravity.