Pendulum investigation with a stop

In summary, the speaker conducted an experiment with different values for (d) and obtained 6 readings. The goal was to find g from the equation T = -π^2/g(d/T) + 2π√(l/g). Despite trying multiple variations, the speaker could not find a value close to 9.8m/s^2. They then shared their results for a single set of values and asked for someone else's result. They were able to obtain g=9.48 but are still seeking assistance with solving the equation. Suggestions were made to transform it into a quadratic equation or plot it as a function of g to find the roots.
exequor
I did this experiment with various values for (d), which is the height from the top of the string to the stop. The length of the string was 0.7m. Since i used 6 differnt values for (d) i got 6 readings.

why i stated all this is because i have to find g from the following expression

[tex]T = \frac{-\pi^2}{g} (\frac{d}{T}) + 2\Pi \sqrt{\frac {l}{g}} [/tex]

I have tried lots of variations but i just can't find anything close to 9.8m/s^2.

what i did was i tried a single set of results like:
d = 0.5m
T = 1.31
thus d/T = 0.38
and l = 0.7m

could someone use the same and tell me what their result for g was, please.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I got g=9.48

If you're having trouble solving that, try transforming it into a quadratic equation. You could also move T to the right side, plot it as a function of g, and find the roots.

Thank you for sharing your experiment and results with us. It seems like you have conducted a pendulum investigation with a stop and are trying to find the value of acceleration due to gravity (g) using the given expression. I understand that you have used 6 different values for (d) and have obtained 6 readings, but you are having trouble finding a result close to 9.8m/s^2.

Firstly, I would like to point out that the expression you have used is the equation for the period of a simple pendulum, which is given by T = 2π√(l/g), where T is the period, l is the length of the string, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. In your case, you have rearranged the equation to solve for g, which is perfectly fine.

Now, coming to your specific results, if we use the values you have provided (d = 0.5m, T = 1.31s, and l = 0.7m), we can calculate the value of g using the given expression as follows:

T = (-π^2/g)(d/T) + 2π√(l/g)
1.31 = (-π^2/g)(0.38) + 2π√(0.7/g)
1.31 = (-1.18/g) + 2π√(0.7/g)
1.31 + 1.18/g = 2π√(0.7/g)
(1.31 + 1.18/g)^2 = 4π^2(0.7/g)
1.72 + 2.59/g + 1.40/g^2 = 4.38/g
1.40/g^2 + 2.59/g - 2.76/g + 1.72 = 0
1.40/g^2 + 0.83/g - 1.04 = 0

Using the quadratic formula, we get two possible values for g: 3.89m/s^2 or -0.60m/s^2. However, we know that the value of acceleration due to gravity cannot be negative, so we can discard the second result.

Therefore, using your given values, the calculated value of g is 3.89m/s^2. This is quite far from the expected value

1. How does a pendulum work?

A pendulum works by utilizing the force of gravity to swing back and forth. When the pendulum is released from a certain height, it begins to swing as gravity pulls it downwards. As it reaches the bottom of its swing, the force of gravity changes its direction and causes it to swing back up. This motion continues until the force of gravity is overcome by friction and air resistance.

2. What is the purpose of using a stop in a pendulum investigation?

The purpose of using a stop in a pendulum investigation is to accurately measure the period of the pendulum's swing. The stop provides a consistent point for the pendulum to swing back and forth, allowing for precise timing and data collection. Without a stop, the pendulum's swing may vary, making it difficult to obtain accurate results.

3. How does the length of a pendulum affect its swing?

The length of a pendulum is directly related to its period, or the time it takes to complete one full swing. The longer the length of the pendulum, the slower its swing will be. This is because a longer pendulum has a larger arc to travel, taking more time to complete each swing. Conversely, a shorter pendulum will have a quicker swing as it has a smaller arc to travel.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of a pendulum investigation with a stop?

The accuracy of a pendulum investigation with a stop can be affected by several factors, including the length of the pendulum, air resistance, and friction. Any changes in these factors can impact the pendulum's swing and lead to inaccurate results. It is important to control these variables as much as possible to ensure the accuracy of the investigation.

5. How can a pendulum investigation with a stop be used in real life?

Pendulum investigations with a stop have many real-life applications, such as in the design and construction of clocks. Pendulums are used in clocks to keep time accurately, with the length of the pendulum determining the speed at which the clock's hands move. Pendulum investigations can also be used to study the effects of gravity and help develop new technologies such as seismometers and accelerometers.