1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum involving conservative energy

1. Apr 11, 2005 #1
    Hey! I need help with this question:
    A ball having mass m is connected by a strong string of length L to a pivot point and held in place in a vertical position. A wind exerting constant force of magnitude F is blowing from left to right. If the ball is released from rest, show that the maximum height H reached by the ball, as measured from its initial height, is H= (2L)/(1+(mg/F)^2) Check that the above result is valid both for cases when 0<H,L and for L<H<2L.
    So far, I know that I'm supposed to use FLsin(theta)=mgH
    and integrate it -> W=(integral)FLcos(theta)d(theta)
    But I have no idea at all where to go from here!! Please, i really need help now!! I don't have much time left for this!! :cry:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The solution to the pendulum motion without the wind is:

[tex]\theta = \theta_0,sin(\omega t)[/tex] where [itex]\omega = \sqrt{g/L}[/itex]

When you add the wind, the energy added on the forward cycle is lost on the reverse cycle so this is equivalent to a new vibration about a different equilibrium position in which the new g' is determined from the vector sum of mg and F.

[tex]g' = \sqrt{g^2 +(F/m)^2}[/tex] and

[tex]\theta_0' [/itex] is the angle that the vector sum of F and mg makes to the vertical. Try working out H from that.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?