1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum Lab HELP

1. Dec 28, 2004 #1
    I am doing a lab report that proves the formula for the period of a pendulum. One part of the assignment requires that I explain how the pendulum goes from UCM (Uniform Circuluar Motion) to SHM (Simple Harmonic Motion). I have described the transition as follows:

"Uniform circular motion requires an object to be moving at a constant speed with a constant radius. The pendulum displays UCM with its constant speed and constant string length. The pendulum is accelerating constantly in UCM because it changes direction. Velocity is changed, and a change in velocity over a period of time creates the acceleration. So therefore, by graphing acceleration on the y-axis and time on the x-axis a characteristic SHM (Simple Harmonic Motion) sinusoidal graph will appear."​

I don't know if I have described the highlighted part correctly... Is it the acceleration that will be graphed or the velocity (since it changes)... The goal here is to show that, using a graph, the characteristic sin graph will be shown. I dont know if graphing my acceleration on the y-axis is going to cause the sin graph to appear. Thank you very much for helping.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2004 #2

Well for SHM
    displacement, velocity and acceleration will vary sinusodically with time. It will not matter which one you plot if all you need is a sinusodial graph. Whether you get a sine or a cosine wave will depend on how you took the data,
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?