1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum max acceleration

1. May 8, 2005 #1
    I am given that the mass of a simple pendulum is 0.25kg, length 1m and displaced 15 degrees then released. How would I find the max angular acceleration?

I could calculate max velocity with conservation of energy, but not sure now to calculate the max acceleration.

Last edited: May 8, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maximum acceleration occurs where the force is maximum, at the ends of the motion. Find the unbalanced force acting on the mass at the point of release, and use Newtons second law. The forces acting are gravity and the tension in the string. The question asks for angular acceleration, so you will need to convert from linear acceleration to angular acceleration.

As an alternative, if you know about torque and moment of inertia of the mass on the string, you can calculate angular acceleration from that point of view.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?