Finding the Maximum Height of a Pendulum Swing

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics lab question involving a pendulum. The person is unsure of how to solve it and asks for guidance. The question involves finding the maximum height a 40 kg mass will reach on a 43-cm long string, swinging at a speed of 1.6 m/s. The solution involves considering the oscillation of energy between potential and kinetic energy in a pendulum. No equation is provided for determining the maximum height.
bcalkins
Hello,
I have a physics lab tomorrow and have to answer this question to be admitted in. We haven't begun to talk about Pendulums in lecture yet, so I have NO idea where to start. Here's the question:
A mass of 40 kg suspended from a 43-cm long light string forms a simple pendulum. The mass swings through the lowest point of its trajectory with a speed of 1.6 m/s. To what maximum height above the lowest point will it rise (in m)? Neglect air resistance.

Could you PLEASE walk me through how to solve this? I've looked online but can't seem to find an equation for determining the maximum height. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about how pendulum energy oscillates between potential energy and kinetic energy.

1. What is the maximum height of a pendulum?

The maximum height of a pendulum is the highest point it reaches during its swing. This height is dependent on the length of the pendulum, the starting angle, and the force of gravity.

2. How do you calculate the maximum height of a pendulum?

The maximum height of a pendulum can be calculated using the equation: h = L - Lcosθ, where h is the maximum height, L is the length of the pendulum, and θ is the starting angle.

3. Does the mass of the pendulum affect its maximum height?

Yes, the mass of the pendulum does affect its maximum height. A heavier pendulum will have a lower maximum height compared to a lighter pendulum with the same length and starting angle.

4. Can the maximum height of a pendulum be greater than its initial height?

Yes, the maximum height of a pendulum can be greater than its initial height. This can happen if the pendulum is given an initial push with enough force and at the appropriate angle.

5. What factors can affect the maximum height of a pendulum?

The maximum height of a pendulum can be affected by the length of the pendulum, the starting angle, the mass of the pendulum, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also have a minor impact.