How Does Pendulum Speed Change with Angle and Initial Velocity?

In summary, the bob of the pendulum has a speed of 8.35 m/s when it is in its lowest position. The least value that v0 can have is 6.74 m/s.
Shackleford
[SOLVED] Pendulum Momentum Question

Homework Statement

Figure 8-34 shows a pendulum of length L = 1.25 m. Its bob has speed v0 when the cord makes an angle theta0 = 40 degrees with the vertical.

What is the speed of the bob when it is in its lowest position if v0 = 8 m/s?

The speed is 8.35 m/s.

What is the least value that v0 can have if the pendulum is to swing down and then up to a horizontal position?

Homework Equations

W + KE1 + PE1 = KE2 + PE2

The Attempt at a Solution

W + KE1 + PE1 = KE2 + PE2:

0 + (1/2)m(8.57 m/s)^2 + 0 = (1/2)m v^2 + m(9.8 m/s^2)1.25m

v= 6 or 7 something. The answer in the book is 4.33 m/s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shackleford said:

Homework Statement

Figure 8-34 shows a pendulum of length L = 1.25 m. Its bob has speed v0 when the cord makes an angle theta0 = 40 degrees with the vertical.

What is the speed of the bob when it is in its lowest position if v0 = 8 m/s?

The speed is 8.35 m/s.

What is the least value that v0 can have if the pendulum is to swing down and then up to a horizontal position?

Homework Equations

W + KE1 + PE1 = KE2 + PE2

The Attempt at a Solution

W + KE1 + PE1 = KE2 + PE2:

0 + (1/2)m(8.57 m/s)^2 + 0 = (1/2)m v^2 + m(9.8 m/s^2)1.25m

v= 6 or 7 something. The answer in the book is 4.33 m/s

Use 8.35 m/s.

physixguru said:
Use 8.35 m/s.

Sorry. I forgot to put the 8.35 in there. But, it still doesn't give me the correct answer. I get 6.74 m/s.

The final kinetic energy will be zero when the pendulum reaches the horizontal when considering the minimum initial velocity.

The 8.35m/s does not apply here, since that value is based on the first part of the question and is irrelevant to this part. You are trying to find the velocity of the pendulum needed at 40 degrees to the vertical that will just get you to the horizontal position on the other side.

hage567 said:
The final kinetic energy will be zero when the pendulum reaches the horizontal when considering the minimum initial velocity.

The 8.35m/s does not apply here, since that value is based on the first part of the question and is irrelevant to this part. You are trying to find the velocity of the pendulum needed at 40 degrees to the vertical that will just get you to the horizontal position on the other side.

Oh, hello! Man. I know I can work it now. I'll do it after I eat. lol.

Got it. Thanks. Sometimes, I just read over the problem too quickly and assume I read it correctly.

1. How does a pendulum's momentum change as it swings?

The pendulum's momentum changes as it swings due to the conversion of potential energy to kinetic energy and back again. As it swings back towards the center, its speed increases, and as it swings away from the center, its speed decreases.

2. What factors affect the momentum of a pendulum?

The momentum of a pendulum is affected by its mass, length, and amplitude of its swing. A heavier pendulum will have a greater momentum, a longer pendulum will have a slower speed, and a larger amplitude will result in a greater change in momentum.

3. Why does a pendulum eventually come to a stop?

A pendulum eventually comes to a stop due to the presence of friction and air resistance. These forces act against the pendulum's motion, causing it to lose energy and eventually come to a stop.

4. Does the angle of release affect a pendulum's momentum?

Yes, the angle of release does affect a pendulum's momentum. The greater the angle of release, the greater the potential energy at the start of the swing, resulting in a higher maximum speed and momentum during the swing.

5. How does the length of a pendulum affect its momentum?

The length of a pendulum affects its momentum by changing the period of its swing. A longer pendulum will have a longer period, resulting in a slower speed and lower momentum compared to a shorter pendulum.