Pendulum moving with constant veloctiy

In summary, the conversation discusses a pendulum consisting of a mass M and a massless string of length r that is being pulled upward at a constant velocity through a tiny hole in the ceiling. The length of the pendulum is given by r = r0 - alpha*t, and the angle of the string with respect to vertical is denoted by theta. The Lagrange and Hamilton equations of motion are requested, as well as the equation of motion for the approximation of small angle theta. The equations for Kinetic and Potential Energy are provided, along with the correct equations for T and U. The Lagrange and Hamilton equations are obtained by taking the derivative of the difference between T and U, and the equation of motion for small angle theta is
kraigandrews

Homework Statement

Consider a pendulum that consists of a mass M hanging from a massless string of length r. The string is being pulled upward at constant velocity through a tiny hole in the ceiling, so the length of the pendulum is given by r = r0 - alpha*t, where alpha is a constant. Let theta be the angle of the string with respect to vertical. Assume that the motion is in a vertical plane, but do not make small angle approximations.
(a) Find the Lagrange equation of motion.

(b) Find the Hamilton equations of motion.

(c) Find the equation of motion in the approximation that the angle theta is small. (You do not have to solve the equation of motion -- its solution will be discussed in lecture.)

Homework Equations

L = T-U
r = [itex]r_{o}[/itex] - [itex]\alpha[/itex]t

The Attempt at a Solution

So pretty much I just need help with getting started i.e. making sure that I have the correct equations for T and U.

I believe T would just be the Kinetic Energy of the pendulum and the rate at which the rope is moving to give:

T =1/2M([itex]\dot{r^{2}}[/itex] + [itex]r^{2}[/itex][itex]\dot{\vartheta^{2}}[/itex]) + 1/2M[itex]\dot{r^{2}}[/itex]
where the second r dot term is for the changing radius (however, this doesn't seem correct)

U = mgrsin[itex]\vartheta[/itex]

then obviously L is just the difference of T and U and then carry out the necessary derivative to obtain the Lagrange equations and somewhat similar for the Hamiltonian equations. My main problem is making sure that the initial equations are correct, which they don't seem to be.

Physics news on Phys.org
Then for the approximation that the angle is small, I believe the equation of motion would just be \ddot{\vartheta} + \frac{g}{r_{o}}\vartheta = 0

1. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a pivot point that can freely swing back and forth.

2. How does a pendulum move with constant velocity?

A pendulum moves with constant velocity when the forces acting on it are balanced, meaning the force of gravity pulling it down is equal to the force of tension pulling it back up.

3. What factors affect a pendulum's constant velocity?

The length of the pendulum, the mass of the weight, and the strength of gravity are the main factors that affect a pendulum's constant velocity.

4. Can a pendulum ever have a constant velocity?

Yes, a pendulum can have a constant velocity when it is in motion and the forces acting on it are balanced, as described in the answer to question 2.

5. Why is a pendulum's constant velocity important?

A pendulum's constant velocity is important because it allows us to measure time accurately. Pendulum clocks use the regular swinging motion of a pendulum to keep time.