Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Pendulum of a Grandfather clock

1. Nov 28, 2005 #1
    How does temperature affect grandfather clocks? A metal rod pendulum is inside of the clock. I have a question regarding this. If an expirement happened where 3 clocks were sent to the same time. ONe was put in a cold room, one in a hot, and one in a room temperature room. What would the cold room grandfather clock and the hot room grandfather clock say if the room temperature clock was 3 o'clcok? PLease help me!! EXPLAIN

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know that the period of a pendulum depends on its length. What happens to the length of a pendulum under the conditions you specified?

P.S. I won't even point out that all three rooms, by definition, are at "room temperature!" :)

4. Nov 28, 2005 #3
    I am guessing that the metal rod expands when the room is hotter and "shrinks" when the room is colder. If the length is a dependant factor, wouldn't the period affect it becuase the rod lengthens and condenses?

5. Nov 28, 2005 #4
    Am I right with the whole lengthening thing?

6. Nov 29, 2005 #5

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes! You know that a longer pendulum has a longer period than a shorter one so you should now be able to completely answer the question.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook