1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum of a Grandfather clock

1. Nov 28, 2005 #1
    How does temperature affect grandfather clocks? A metal rod pendulum is inside of the clock. I have a question regarding this. If an expirement happened where 3 clocks were sent to the same time. ONe was put in a cold room, one in a hot, and one in a room temperature room. What would the cold room grandfather clock and the hot room grandfather clock say if the room temperature clock was 3 o'clcok? PLease help me!! EXPLAIN

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know that the period of a pendulum depends on its length. What happens to the length of a pendulum under the conditions you specified?

P.S. I won't even point out that all three rooms, by definition, are at "room temperature!" :)

4. Nov 28, 2005 #3
    I am guessing that the metal rod expands when the room is hotter and "shrinks" when the room is colder. If the length is a dependant factor, wouldn't the period affect it becuase the rod lengthens and condenses?

5. Nov 28, 2005 #4
    Am I right with the whole lengthening thing?

6. Nov 29, 2005 #5

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes! You know that a longer pendulum has a longer period than a shorter one so you should now be able to completely answer the question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?