Comparing Gravity on Different Planets Using a Pendulum

In summary, an astronaut visited two planets, x and y, and recorded the period of oscillation of a 50 cm pendulum. Using the formula g = 4pi^2(50)/T^2, the value of gravity for planet x was calculated to be 493.4802201 and for planet y to be 877.298169. Planet y was found to have the largest gravity. To obtain the value of gravity in mks units, the pendulum length should be recalculated to 0.5 meters. Therefore, the value of gravity for planet y at the location of the pendulum is g = 877.29 cm/s^2.
brayrbob
Here is my problem that I have partly solved.

An astronaut visits planet x. She takes out a 50 cm pendulum and records a period of oscillation of 2 seconds. Then the astronaut visits planet y, takes out the same pendulum and records a period of oscillation of 1.5 seconds. Which planet has the largest gravity? What is the value of gravity on that planet?

g = 4pi^2(50)/2^2 = 493.4802201 for planet x
g = 4pi^2(50)/1.5^2 = 877.298169 for planet y
planet y has the largest gravity
Now I'm not sure how to find the value of gravity for planet y.

Physics news on Phys.org
brayrbob said:
Here is my problem that I have partly solved.

An astronaut visits planet x. She takes out a 50 cm pendulum and records a period of oscillation of 2 seconds. Then the astronaut visits planet y, takes out the same pendulum and records a period of oscillation of 1.5 seconds. Which planet has the largest gravity? What is the value of gravity on that planet?

g = 4pi^2(50)/2^2 = 493.4802201 for planet x
g = 4pi^2(50)/1.5^2 = 877.298169 for planet y
planet y has the largest gravity
Now I'm not sure how to find the value of gravity for planet y.
you've already calculated the gravity "g" for both planets.

(note: to obtain g in mks units, recalulate values using pendulum length of 0.5 meters instead of 50 cm.)

So the gravity for the planets is the vaule of gravity?
planet y has the vaule of gravity of g= 877.29cm/s^2

brayrbob said:
So the gravity for the planets is the vaule of gravity?
planet y has the vaule of gravity of g= 877.29cm/s^2
yes (at the location of the pendulum)

What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a pivot point that swings back and forth due to the force of gravity.

How does the length of a pendulum affect its swing?

The length of a pendulum affects its swing by determining the period, or the time it takes for one full swing. A longer pendulum has a longer period and therefore a slower swing, while a shorter pendulum has a shorter period and a faster swing.

How does gravity affect a pendulum's swing?

Gravity is what causes a pendulum to swing. The force of gravity pulls the pendulum towards the center of the earth, allowing it to swing back and forth.

How would a pendulum behave on a planet with a weaker gravitational pull?

A pendulum's swing is directly proportional to the strength of gravity, so on a planet with a weaker gravitational pull, the pendulum would have a longer period and slower swing compared to Earth.

How would a pendulum behave on a planet with a stronger gravitational pull?

On a planet with a stronger gravitational pull, the pendulum would have a shorter period and faster swing compared to Earth.