Pendulum Length and Period Calculations

In summary, the conversation was about solving two physics problems involving the equation T=2pi√(L/g). The first problem involved determining the length of a pendulum on Earth and Venus using the equation, while the second problem involved finding the distance from equilibrium of a box attached to a spring. The experts discussed different approaches and solutions to the problems, with one pointing out that the second problem may not be directly related to the first, and the other realizing they had mistakenly solved the wrong problem. Eventually, the correct solution was found and it was determined that shortening the length of the pendulum would result in a shorter time period.
reminiscent

Homework Statement

voUVf65.png

Homework Equations

T=2pi√(L/g)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just making sure I am doing these right.
For the first one, I used the equation to determine the length it would be on Earth. The length I got was g/pi^2 = 0.993 m. I thought that it would have to stay the same length on Venus too, so I used the equation again, given the length and gravity of Venus, to find the period. My answer: 2.10 seconds.
For the second one, I used the equation again, plugged in 2 seconds for T, 0.904g for g, then found L = 0.898 m. I subtracted this from the original length I found from the first problem. My answer: 0.993-0.898 m = 0.095 m (shorten the pendulum by 0.095 m).

Physics news on Phys.org
reminiscent said:
For the second one, I used the equation again, plugged in 2 seconds for T, 0.904g for g, then found L = 0.898 m. I subtracted this from the original length I found from the first problem. My answer: 0.993-0.898 m = 0.095 m (shorten the pendulum by 0.095 m).

if i am correct the 2nd problem seems to be decoupled from the 'Gandma 's clock' as its a spring oscillator and springs do not oscillate as simple hanging bob and its time period has other parameters... like spring constant and mass. so think about the second one in a different way !

OK, for the first question. However, a nice way to approach this problem is in terms of ratios. If you set up an expression for the ratio of the period on Venus to the period on earth, you won't need to find the length.

Your answer to the second question doesn't appear to correspond to the second question.

Likes drvrm
TSny said:
OK, for the first question. However, a nice way to approach this problem is in terms of ratios. If you set up an expression for the ratio of the period on Venus to the period on earth, you won't need to find the length.

Your answer to the second question doesn't appear to correspond to the second question.
I see what you are saying for the first one. However, for the second one, all I did was find the length the pendulum has to be in order to get a period of 2 seconds. I found that length, and I subtracted it from the length it was on Earth, and my answer is that she would have to shorten it by 0.095 m. That makes sense to me.

reminiscent said:
I see what you are saying for the first one. However, for the second one, all I did was find the length the pendulum has to be in order to get a period of 2 seconds. I found that length, and I subtracted it from the length it was on Earth, and my answer is that she would have to shorten it by 0.095 m. That makes sense to me.

but the second questio is asking about something else-
how far is the box from equilibrium position if the elastic potential...( no question about shortening etc.

I apologize, I took a screenshot of the wrong problem for the 2nd part. Here is the right problem:
3DchZU3.png

reminiscent said:
I apologize, I took a screenshot of the wrong problem for the 2nd part. Here is the right problem:
never mind ..it happens ..we were just wondering ...
so Grandma's problem gets solved by you - as time period is directly proportional to sqrt(L) reducing 2.10 sec to 2.0 will need shortening of the length.thanks

1. What is the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is the time it takes for one complete back-and-forth swing, also known as one oscillation. It is typically measured in seconds.

2. How is the period of a pendulum affected by its length?

The period of a pendulum is directly proportional to the square root of its length. In other words, a longer pendulum will have a longer period, while a shorter pendulum will have a shorter period.

3. What factors affect the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is affected by its length, the acceleration due to gravity, and the angle at which it is released. Other factors, such as air resistance and friction, can also impact the period to a certain extent.

4. Can the period of a pendulum be changed?

Yes, the period of a pendulum can be changed by adjusting its length or by changing the acceleration due to gravity, such as by moving the pendulum to a different location. It can also be changed by altering the angle at which it is released.

5. How is the period of a pendulum used in real life?

The period of a pendulum is used in various applications, such as in clocks and metronomes. It is also used in physics experiments to study the effects of gravity and other factors on the motion of a pendulum.