1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum period

1. Jul 12, 2006 #1
    Hello can anyone give me any help on this:
    I am investigating what factors affect the time it takes for a pendulum to make one complete swing??

Me
    xxx

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2006 #2
    Have you attmpted to set up an experiment?

This is somthing thats worth attempting to test yourself by measurement, a fun few hours.

4. Jul 13, 2006 #3
    I am at the moment in the middle of the planning process. i was wondering what would be a good perlimenary experiment to set up do you know? have 6 lessons left to finish this and it is a bit of a stuggle with chemisty and biology coursework going on at the same time!!! Thanks alot!!
    Me
    xx

5. Jul 13, 2006 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Hmm..making a pendulum and see how fast it swings, perhaps?

However, a bit more serious:
    What factors do YOU think might affect the period of the pendulum?

6. Jul 13, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There aren't that many possible factors are there? The length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum, the size of the arc the pendulum goes through. What else is there to a pendulum? Do some experiments varying those (one at a time) and time the swings.

7. Jul 13, 2006 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, one MIGHT add the planet the pendulum is on as possibly of some importance..
    (

8. Jul 13, 2006 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That might make the experiment very difficult to do!

9. Jul 13, 2006 #8

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, one could instead get in an elevator accelerating at different rates instead :smile:

10. Jul 22, 2006 #9
    Thankies!!

lol thanks guys! i have sucessfully completed my experiment and am now just writing up the coursework!!
    peace out!
    xx

:biggrin:

11. Jul 22, 2006 #10
    Let us know how it went :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?