Pendulum problem(check answer please?)

• Thread starter Raziel2701
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the question involves finding the minimum value of distance d for a pendulum with length L to remain taut at all times while being released from a horizontal position and encountering a peg located a distance d below the pivot. The solution involves setting up a free body diagram and using conservation of energy to find a relationship between d, L, and other variables. The final answer can be expressed as d = 0.5L(1 + T/mg). However, this answer should not include T, as the condition for the string to remain taut at all times is when T = 0 at the top of the loop. Additionally, the top of the loop will be located at 2d - L below the pivot,
Raziel2701

Homework Statement

A pendulum of length L is initially held horizontal, and is then released. The string runs into a peg a distance d below the pivot. What is the smallest value of d for which the string remains taught at all times?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did a free body diagram for the mass when it's winding about the peg. I got [tex]T+mg=\frac{mv^2}{L}[/tex]

Then I used conservation of energy:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2 +mg(L-d)=mgL[/tex]

I solved for v^2 in the force equation and plugged into my conservation of energy equation to get my answer of:

[tex]d=\frac{1}{2}L(\frac{T}{mg} +1)[/tex]

Does that seem ok?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Raziel2701! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
Raziel2701 said:
A pendulum of length L is initially held horizontal, and is then released. The string runs into a peg a distance d below the pivot. What is the smallest value of d for which the string remains taught at all times?

Your answer should not have T in it …

the smallest value of d for which the string remains taut is that for which T = 0 at the top of the loop. :wink:

And I think you have the wrong set-up …

the peg is d directly below the pivot, so the top of the loop will be 2d - L below the pivot. :wink:

1. What is a pendulum problem?

A pendulum problem is a physics problem that involves the motion of a swinging pendulum. It typically involves calculating the period, frequency, or other characteristics of the pendulum's motion.

2. What are the variables involved in a pendulum problem?

The variables involved in a pendulum problem are the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum bob, the angle of release, and the gravitational acceleration. Other variables such as air resistance may also be considered in more complex problems.

3. How is the period of a pendulum calculated?

The period of a pendulum can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(l/g), where T is the period, l is the length of the pendulum, and g is the gravitational acceleration. This equation assumes small angles of oscillation and negligible air resistance.

4. How does the length of a pendulum affect its period?

The length of a pendulum directly affects its period. The longer the length of the pendulum, the longer its period will be. This is because a longer pendulum will have a larger arc length and therefore take more time to complete one full swing.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of a pendulum problem?

The accuracy of a pendulum problem can be affected by factors such as air resistance, friction at the pivot point, and the assumption of small angles. In real-life scenarios, these factors may not be negligible and can impact the accuracy of the calculations.