1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum problem using Lagrangian approach

1. May 24, 2004 #1

I'm trying to do a problem that goes something like this:

There is a mass (m) attached to one end of a massless rod (length l). The other end of the rod is attached to a frictionless pivot. The rod is released from rest at an angle F0 < pi/2. At what angle F does the force in the rod change from compressive to tension?

Attached is a diagram of the situation, as well as what I have done so far. I apologize for not putting my working out in the body of my post, but I haven't used LaTex before, and I don't have the time at the moment to learn how to use it.

Another thing: The problem should be done using a Lagrangian approach (although it isn't entirely necessary).

Any help would be highly appreciated!
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2004 #2
    Oops, forgot to attach the file. And now that I've tried, I realise that I don't know how. The "Manage Attachments" button under "Additional Options" doesn't seem to do anything, and I can't see any other button/link for attachments. The FAQ says:

"To attach a file to a new post, simply click the [Browse] button at the bottom of the post composition page, and locate the file that you want to attach from your local hard drive."

Only problem is, I can't find any "Browse" button.

I know it's probably right in front of me, but I can't see it anywhere. Can anyone help me out here? My "Posting Rules" thing does say that I may post attachments.

Edit: Here is the attachment. I just realised I have my browser configured to block popups. I know, I am an idiot :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2004
  4. May 24, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I can't find the attachment, but I would assume that the angle is measured in a right-handed system with [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] the direction of the upwards vertical (antiparallell to the direction of the force of gravity)

Since the trajectory is circular, we may write:
    The acceleration may then be written as:

Newton's laws of motion may then be written as:
    [tex]T-mg\sin\theta=-ml\omega^{2}[/tex] (radial component)
    [tex]-mg\cos\theta=ml\dot{\omega}[/tex] (transverse component)

Multiplying the last equation by omega, and integrating, yields:

Clearly, T changes from compression to tension (at [tex]\theta=\hat{\theta}[/tex])when it is zero:
    Last edited: May 24, 2004
  5. May 24, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Major error in first reply edited.
  6. May 25, 2004 #5
    Thanks for that, and sorry I took so long to get back to this. I get everything you did except for the integration bit. Could you explain in more detail how that was done?

Thanks a lot.
  7. May 25, 2004 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

All right:
    1. Initial conditions are:

That is, we start from rest.

2. Using transverse component:
    Remember that [tex]\omega=\dot{\theta}[/tex]
    i.e omega is the temporal derivative of the angle.

By multiplying the transverse component with omega, we have:

Hence, we see that both sides are exactly a temporal derivative (by using the chain rule of differentiation); hence, we may integrate both sides from t=0, to an arbitrary time value.
    Using the initial conditions yields the answer.
  8. May 25, 2004 #7
    Aaahh, now I get it.

You've been a great help, thank you very much.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?