Estimating Walking Speed w/ Ideal Physical Pendula

• Thread starter Bgerst103
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the conversation discusses estimating walking speed using a physical pendulum as a comparison. The first question involves calculating the walking speed by measuring the time it takes to walk 10 m. The second question asks if the walking speed of the pendulum is faster or slower than the "clocked" walking speed and why. The conversation also mentions the need for additional assumptions and references a past lecture on the effects of scale on animal movement.
Bgerst103

Homework Statement

Estimate your walking speed assuming that your legs are ideal PHYSICAL PENDULA.

Estimate your walking speed by measuring how long it takes you to walk 10 m.

Was your "pendulum" walking speed faster of slower than your "clocked" walking speed? Why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm unsure of how to calculate the first question. I'm going to assume that I take a step every half second but I don't know where to start from that assumption.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need some additional assumption on the step size, otherwise it does not work. I don't like the problem statement, it should make that clear (or suggest a value).

mfb said:
You'll need some additional assumption on the step size, otherwise it does not work.
True, but that's fairly easy to measure. The hard part is estimating effective pendulum length.

(This question reminds me of a Christmas lecture series from the Royal institution many decades ago which looked at the effects of scale on living things. The lecturer demonstrated that, for the same basic body plan, all animals run at the same speed, but larger animals walk faster, as √L. As a result, sufficiently small animals hardly ever walk.)

1. How is walking speed estimated using ideal physical pendula?

Walking speed can be estimated using ideal physical pendula by measuring the time it takes for a person to complete one walking cycle. This time can then be used to calculate the speed at which the person is walking.

2. What is an ideal physical pendulum?

An ideal physical pendulum is a theoretical pendulum that is assumed to have no friction, air resistance, or other external forces acting on it. This allows for more accurate calculations and measurements to be made.

3. How does the length of the pendulum affect the accuracy of the walking speed estimation?

The length of the pendulum can affect the accuracy of the walking speed estimation as a longer pendulum will have a longer period, resulting in a slower walking speed calculation. This can be compensated for by using an equation that takes into account the length of the pendulum.

4. Can this method be used for individuals of all ages and abilities?

Yes, this method can be used for individuals of all ages and abilities as long as they are able to complete a walking cycle and the appropriate measurements can be taken.

5. What are the limitations of estimating walking speed with ideal physical pendula?

Some limitations of estimating walking speed with ideal physical pendula include the assumption of no external forces acting on the pendulum, which may not always be true in real-life scenarios. Additionally, the accuracy of the estimation may be affected by factors such as the individual's gait or the surface they are walking on.