1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum Problems

1. May 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Estimate your walking speed assuming that your legs are ideal PHYSICAL PENDULA.

Estimate your walking speed by measuring how long it takes you to walk 10 m.

Was your "pendulum" walking speed faster of slower than your "clocked" walking speed? Why?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm unsure of how to calculate the first question. I'm going to assume that I take a step every half second but I don't know where to start from that assumption.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You'll need some additional assumption on the step size, otherwise it does not work. I don't like the problem statement, it should make that clear (or suggest a value).

4. May 7, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

True, but that's fairly easy to measure. The hard part is estimating effective pendulum length.

(This question reminds me of a Christmas lecture series from the Royal institution many decades ago which looked at the effects of scale on living things. The lecturer demonstrated that, for the same basic body plan, all animals run at the same speed, but larger animals walk faster, as √L. As a result, sufficiently small animals hardly ever walk.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted