1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum Pulley System

1. Feb 17, 2009 #1
    This is not a homework problem. It was a problem posed by my professor at the end of the semester but had me puzzled for a while. I was able to satisfactorily solve it for the case when gravity is not present but I was not so successful with gravity.

The question is: to determine the trajectory of the mass m1, in terms of
    -mass (m2),
    -initial length (initial radius r0) of the pendulum and
    -the initial angle (theta0) that the string makes with respect to the side of the table and
    -the initial distance of m2 from the pulley nearest to it (x0).
    31642t4.jpg

Solution would be appreciated. Or, explanation of why a college freshman can not solve such a problem would also do.

Thank you.
    H.G.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi H.G.! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Just use conservation of energy

(and remember the speed of m2 is the same as the rate of increase in length of the hanging part of the string) :wink:

4. Feb 18, 2009 #3
    Thanks Tiny Tim.

--- I had this question posed to me few years back. Sorry if I am not clear on the problems I ran into.

(BTW: Pendulum - m1 - is not attached to the pulley but is descending to the ground as it pulls m2 with it while at the same time swinging)

5. Feb 18, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just call the angle θ, and express the velocity in terms of r' and rθ' :smile:

6. Feb 18, 2009 #5
    so the velocity of m2 would be dr/dt.

what is the velocity of m1? it can not be dr/dt because it is also swinging. What value of velocity would u use for the calculation of its (m1's) kinetic energy?

P.S> tiny_tim: *I appreciate the quick response*
    p.s.s> I will post my solution for the case when there is no gravity

7. Feb 18, 2009 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You must learn this … radial speed = dr/dt, tangential speed = r dθ/dt. :smile:

8. Feb 18, 2009 #7
    :smile:

so, we have non-linear differential equation in two variables (not counting t)..

[tex]\Delta[/tex]U + [tex]\Delta[/tex]KE = 0;

m1 gr( cos ([tex]\theta[/tex]) - cos ([tex]\theta0[/tex]) ) + 0 + 0.5*(m1[(dr/dt)[tex]^{2}[/tex] + (rd[tex]\theta[/tex]/dt)[tex]^{2}[/tex] ] + m2* (dr/dt)[tex]^{2}[/tex]) = 0;

0 = k1 + k2 * cos([tex]\theta[/tex]) + k3 * r *[tex]^{'}[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex] + k4 *(r[tex]^{'}[/tex])[tex]^{2}[/tex] ;

What other relationship does exist that would turn this into a simultaneous equation?

9. Feb 18, 2009 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi hgetnet! :smile:
    Yes, we need one more equation …

which we can get by taking components of force and acceleration for the swinging mass either in the radial or the tangential direction …

though I must admit, having tried it, that I can't actually see any simple solution to the combined equations. :redface:

hmm … perhaps that's why your professor posed it at the end of the semester? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook