1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum Question

1. Jun 13, 2007 #1
    The pendulum consists of a uniform disk with radius r = 10 cm and mass 900 g attached to a uniform rod with length L = 500 mm and mass 100 g.

(a) Calculate the rotational inertia of the pendulum about the pivot.
    kgm2

(b) What is the distance between the pivot and the center of mass of the pendulum?
    m

(c) Calculate the period of oscillation.
    s

First, since this seems like a simple pendulum, I calculated the time of oscillation using the equation T = 2pi SqRt(l/g)
    T = 2pi SwRt(0.5/9.81)
    T = 1.4185 s which was incorrect.

Once I had the time of oscillation, I was plannning on finding the center of mass using the equation I = T^2MgR/4pi^2

Can someone please help me find the time for oscilation and tell me if my second thoughts are correct.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

physical pendulum, not simple pendulum

It's not a simple pendulum, but what is called a physical pendulum. There's a reason that parts (a) & (b) come first--those quantities are needed to find the period of a physical pendulum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?