Solving Pendulum Question: Find Energy for Every Other Time Push

• Thread starter kidsmoker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the conversation involves a discussion on a pendulum with friction and how to determine the energy needed to keep the pendulum swinging. It also discusses the formula for the energy of the pendulum at t=0 and how it is related to the amplitude of the pendulum. The final conclusion is that the energy required by the push is mgL(cos(e^{-\mu*T}\theta_{0})-cos(\theta_{0})).
kidsmoker

Homework Statement

A pendulum consists of a mass m attached to a light rigid rod of length L. If there is friction in the hinge, then for small displacements theta can be shown to satisfy

[tex]\ddot{\theta}+2\mu\dot{\theta}+\omega_{0}^{2}\theta = 0[/tex].

Show that the solution is

[tex]\theta(t)=\theta_{0}e^{-\mu*t}cos(\omega^{'}t+\phi)[/tex] .

Take the case where [tex]\phi=-0.5*\pi[/tex]. If the pendulum is hit every other time it passes through the origin, deduce how much energy has to be given to the pendulum to ensure that, at this point, its energy is the same as at t=0.

The Attempt at a Solution

Showing that the solution is as they say is easy. The problem i have is with the energy question.

Every swing you give the pendulum a push (like you would do with a child on a swing) to counter the loss in energy due to friction.

It seems we must find the energy lost during one period from t=0 to t=T, and this is the energy that will need to be supplied by the push.

In one period the amplitude will decrease by a factor [tex]e^{-\mu*T}[/tex]. Now the energy of the pendulum at t=0 is all kinetic and i think is equal to

[tex]E_{0}=mgL(1-cos(\theta_{0}))[/tex].

So would that then make the energy required by the push

[tex]E_{p}=mgL(1-cos(\theta_{0})) - mgL(1-cos(e^{-\mu*T}\theta_{0})) = mgL(cos(e^{-\mu*T}\theta_{0})-cos(\theta_{0}))[/tex].

I'm not sure if that's correct or not...?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct. But the thing that bothers me is:
kidsmoker said:
the energy of the pendulum at t=0 is all kinetic and i think is equal to

[tex]E_{0}=mgL(1-cos(\theta_{0}))[/tex].

That formula is derived from the height the pendulum reaches. It has nothing to do with the kinetic energy at [tex]\theta=0[/tex]. Besides that in a frictionless environment the potential energy at maximum angle is the same as the kinetic energy at the lowest point. But since we have friction here we aren't justified in saying that the max kinetic energy is this and that. We want to use the fact that we always want that pendulum to get to same height, which leads to the formula above.

I'm a bit confused. Do you mean my answer is correct, but you're not happy with my method of reasoning, or is the answer is wrong? :-)

The way I was thinking about it was this:

If there were no friction then the pendulum would oscillate with SHM back and forth between [tex]\pm\theta_{0}[/tex]. At t=0, it's at its lowest point, and since it hasn't moved yet no work has been done against friction. If it didn't have K.E. [tex]E_{0}=mgL(1-cos(\theta_{0}))[/tex] then were the friction not there, the pendulum wouldn't have amplitude [tex]\theta_{0}[/tex] - it would have some other amplitude.

As it stands we do have friction, so how this K.E. actually ends up being divided between P.E. and work done against friction is determined by the value of [tex]\mu[/tex]. We know that [tex]\mu > 0[/tex] so that the pendulum will never actually reach [tex]\theta_{0}[/tex] but this doesn't seem to change the statement about the K.E. at t=0 in my view.

Thanks for your help!

Your answer is correct.

I was just not completely happy with how you reached the K.E. formula. But it seems you understand what is going on so I will leave it at that.

edit: [tex]E_{0}=mgL(1-cos(\theta_{0}))[/tex] is not a formula for kinetic energy as it comes from [tex]mg\Delta h[/tex], which is for potential energy. That's what I didn't like.

Oh okay :-) Thanks again!

1. What is a pendulum and how does it work?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point that is able to swing back and forth due to the force of gravity. The motion of a pendulum is governed by the laws of physics, specifically the laws of motion and gravity.

2. How do you solve a pendulum question to find energy?

To solve a pendulum question and find energy, you will need to know the mass of the pendulum, the length of the pendulum, and the angle at which it is released. Then, you can use the equation E=mgL(1-cosθ) to calculate the potential energy, where E is the energy, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, L is the length, and θ is the angle.

3. What is the formula for calculating the energy of a pendulum?

The formula for calculating the energy of a pendulum is E=mgL(1-cosθ), where E is the energy, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, L is the length, and θ is the angle. This formula takes into account the potential energy and kinetic energy of the pendulum.

4. How does the energy of a pendulum change over time?

The energy of a pendulum changes over time as it swings back and forth. As the pendulum swings, it converts its potential energy into kinetic energy and back again. The total energy of the pendulum remains constant, but the distribution between potential and kinetic energy changes continuously.

5. What factors affect the energy of a pendulum?

The energy of a pendulum is affected by several factors, including the mass of the pendulum, the length of the pendulum, the angle at which it is released, and the force of gravity. These factors can influence the potential and kinetic energy of the pendulum, resulting in changes in the total energy over time.