1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum question

1. Dec 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A pendulum oscillates 24.0 times per minute in a particular location. If the
    pendulum is 1.53 m long, what is the acceleration due to gravity there?

2. Relevant equations

T = 2π√ l/g

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't have one because i literally got into this unit. Im really confused and this hurts my brain

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Do you have a specific question?

4. Dec 15, 2014 #3
    i guess, how would i solve this?

5. Dec 15, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You posted an equation. Equations are kind of useless unless you understand what the variables in it refer to. What do you think the T, l and g refer to in your equation?

6. Dec 15, 2014 #5
    You're right, it's just that it was on my homework sheet so I thought it might be important to post it. I think g refers to gravity, l refers to length but t I don't know, would T be time?

7. Dec 15, 2014 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes. Specifically, it is the period of the pendulum. Do you know what that means, and how it relates mathematically to the rate of oscillation?

8. Dec 15, 2014 #7
    Period of the pendulum must mean how long it goes back and forth in 'x' amount of time, Idk, I'm sorry, I'm new. Now I can't deduct how it would relate to it Mathematically. Would it be to calculate to see how long it would take for the pendulum to go back and forth if the length was 'x' . Sorry, never mind. I don't know why it relates to it mathematically.

9. Dec 15, 2014 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not quite - it's the time it takes to go back and forth once, i.e. to complete one oscillation.
    Suppose a pendulum goes back and forth 10 times each second. What would its period be? What would its rate of oscillation be?

10. Dec 15, 2014 #9
    hmm, i dont clearly understand the question. If period is the time it takes to go back and forth once. would the period be one second?

11. Dec 15, 2014 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No. If something happens ten times in a second, how long it take to happen once?

12. Dec 15, 2014 #11
    I am about to embarrass myself but my only guess or the only thing i can think of is, a millisecond? sorry,,, it takes time for me understand,,,

13. Dec 15, 2014 #12

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If it takes a millisecond to do a thing once, would it take a second to do it ten times?

14. Dec 16, 2014 #13
    scratch that please,
    my next guess is 10 seconds

15. Dec 16, 2014 #14
    wait would it be 10 periods

16. Dec 16, 2014 #15

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm not interested in guesses. Let me know when you've worked it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted