Pendulum-Spring-Mass System- HELP

• Thread starter jbroy15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving solving a pendulum-spring-mass system. The system is set up with a point mass on a spring, moving as a pendulum, and the length of the spring is taken to be (Lo + L). The conversation also mentions differential equations describing the length and arc length of the system, as well as a substitution technique using a new arc length to solve for T. However, the issue arises that T, S, and L are all void of the spring constant, k. The expert suggests using the Lagrangian approach to solve this system, which involves introducing an auxiliary function and deriving equations of motion.
jbroy15
Hey, I am working on a project for a class (not looking for answers, looking for advice) which involves solving a pendulum-spring-mass system. Pretty much the system is setup like this: point(ish) mass on a spring, moving as a pendulum. We are assuming that the spring stays straight (as a pendulum would) as it swings back and forth.

I am taking the length of the spring to be (Lo + L), where L=L(t) (and Lo is the natural position of the spring before any extension or depression). Theta will be T=T(t), arc length will be given as S=S(t)=T*(Lo + L). m is the mass, b is the constant I am applying to the resistance force, k is the spring constant, and g is gravitational acceleration.

I found (with a professor's approval on them) differential equations describing the length and arc length:

mS'' + bs' = -mg sinT

mL'' + bL' + kL = mg cosT

Generally, if L wasn't a function of T, I would introduce S=T(Lo + L) and T=sinT, for small angles (which is the case I am looking at)...but it is, so it creates more problems than solves them. I realized here that I had a slight problem...even with a good amount of trig and triangle equalities. It did occur to me, however, that while T was being used for the main problem... it was also being used for a different pendulum problem.

If we make a new arc length coming out of the end of Lo (and the beginning of L), we have a pendulum with no spring. Which allows us to do the substitution: S2=T*Lo. This gives us the new DE:

mLo T'' + bLo T' + mgT = 0.

I can solve for T easily, plug it back into the previous DE, solve the previous DE with variation of parameters (or other such solving techniques), and then use the equality: S=T(Lo + L) to solve for L(t). Done and done. EXCEPT, after doing this, I quickly discovered T, S, and L were all void of the spring constant: k. I have initial conditions (which I know don't interfere with the k) and therefore have all of my constants solved for...what did I do wrong?

So far I have no good answer for this...haven't gone to the professor yet, I am attempting to do this as much on my own as possible. Obviously my technique was wrong...I just don't know why or what else to do. Suggestions? And please don't rip apart my project or tell me I am doing something stupid...learning here, so please help me to.

Also, I *think* I uploaded a picture of the general idea of my system.

Attachments

• PSMSystem.png
    PSMSystem.png
    2 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My suggestion would be to look into the Lagrangian approach to solve this system. The Lagrangian approach is a powerful tool used in classical mechanics and can be used to solve problems such as yours. This technique involves introducing an auxiliary function called the Lagrangian that is constructed from the kinetic and potential energies of the system. You can then use the Lagrangian to derive the equations of motion for the system. This approach is particularly useful for systems with a lot of degrees of freedom (such as your pendulum-spring-mass system). I suggest looking into some textbooks or online resources to get a better understanding of how to use the Lagrangian approach. Good luck!

1. What is a pendulum-spring-mass system?

A pendulum-spring-mass system is a physical system consisting of a mass attached to a spring and connected to a fixed point. The system also includes a pendulum, which is a weight suspended from a pivot point that swings back and forth.

2. How does a pendulum-spring-mass system work?

The pendulum-spring-mass system works by utilizing the principles of potential energy and kinetic energy. As the mass attached to the spring moves, it oscillates back and forth, converting potential energy into kinetic energy and vice versa.

3. What factors affect the motion of a pendulum-spring-mass system?

The motion of a pendulum-spring-mass system is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, the length of the pendulum, and the amplitude of the motion.

4. How is the period of a pendulum-spring-mass system calculated?

The period of a pendulum-spring-mass system can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass, and k is the spring constant. This formula assumes that the amplitude of the motion is small.

5. What are some real-world applications of a pendulum-spring-mass system?

Pendulum-spring-mass systems have various real-world applications, including in clocks, seismometers, and shock absorbers. They are also used in sports equipment, such as pendulum swings in golf clubs, to improve the efficiency of energy transfer.