Pendulum Tilted at an Angle

In summary, the period of a pendulum inclined at 90 degrees does not exist, as the limit approaches infinity. This means that the pendulum takes an infinite amount of time to complete one cycle. This was demonstrated by finding the period for smaller angles and then considering the limit as theta approaches 90 degrees. The equation used to calculate the period was derived for smaller angles, where sin theta approximately equals theta.
racwen

Homework Statement

What would the period be if the pendulum had been inclined to 90 degrees? What value of g does this correspond to?
theta=90degrees. Just as a side note, theta=0degrees when the arm is facing vertically downwards towards the ground.
g=9.8m/s^2
Effective length=0.275m. The value of length was found from the lab I carried out.
Mass attached to end of arm=0.176kg

Homework Equations

T=2pi x root(L/gcostheta) T is period.
ag=gcostheta. ag is acceleration due to gravity.

The Attempt at a Solution

T=2pi x root(0.275m/(9.8 x cos90))=undefined. Since ag=gcostheta=(9.8 x cos90)=undefined, there would be no acceleration acting on the pendulum, thus no force pushing the pendulum. As a result, the pendulum will not oscillate, and there would be no period. I'm not sure if this is correct, would a pendulum still oscillate when the arm is tilted at 90degrees, and how can period be undefined?

Physics news on Phys.org
racwen said:

Homework Statement

What would the period be if the pendulum had been inclined to 90 degrees? What value of g does this correspond to?
theta=90degrees. Just as a side note, theta=0degrees when the arm is facing vertically downwards towards the ground.
g=9.8m/s^2
Effective length=0.275m. The value of length was found from the lab I carried out.
Mass attached to end of arm=0.176kg

Homework Equations

T=2pi x root(L/gcostheta) T is period.
ag=gcostheta. ag is acceleration due to gravity.

The Attempt at a Solution

T=2pi x root(0.275m/(9.8 x cos90))=undefined. Since ag=gcostheta=(9.8 x cos90)=undefined, there would be no acceleration acting on the pendulum, thus no force pushing the pendulum. As a result, the pendulum will not oscillate, and there would be no period. I'm not sure if this is correct, would a pendulum still oscillate when the arm is tilted at 90degrees, and how can period be undefined?
What if you think of it in terms of the angle tending to 90 degrees? What does the period tend to?

Remember that the equation T=2pi x root(L/g) T is period was derived
for small angles where sin theta approximately equals theta (usually less than 10 deg).
where did the equation T=2pi x root(L/gcostheta) come from?.

J Hann said:
Remember that the equation T=2pi x root(L/g) T is period was derived
for small angles where sin theta approximately equals theta (usually less than 10 deg).
where did the equation T=2pi x root(L/gcostheta) come from?.
racwen is interpreting the problem as a pendulum with a tilted plane of oscillation. Given the question about the value of g, that does seem to be the right view.

OK, so theta in this sense is a constant in the derivation of the equation of a simple equation.

haruspex said:
What if you think of it in terms of the angle tending to 90 degrees? What does the period tend to?
The period depends on the length, and acceleration (including the angle). I'm not sure if that's what you mean?

racwen said:
The period depends on the length, and acceleration (including the angle). I'm not sure if that's what you mean?
No, I mean suppose it is tilted at some angle theta. You found the period for that. Now, instead of substituting theta equals 90 degrees, consider what happens to the period as theta tends towards 90 degrees. What value does the period tend to?

haruspex said:
No, I mean suppose it is tilted at some angle theta. You found the period for that. Now, instead of substituting theta equals 90 degrees, consider what happens to the period as theta tends towards 90 degrees. What value does the period tend to?
As period approaches 90 degrees, the period increases. It goes past approximately 25.27s when I used theta=89.9degrees.

racwen said:
As period approaches 90 degrees, the period increases. It goes past approximately 25.27s when I used theta=89.9degrees.
Yes, but what is the value in the limit as theta goes to 90?

haruspex said:
Yes, but what is the value in the limit as theta goes to 90?
As theta approaches 90, the limit approaches infinity.

racwen said:
As theta approaches 90, the limit approaches infinity.
Right.

haruspex said:
Right.
So if the period does not exist at 90degrees, does that mean that the pendulum takes an infinite or unknown amount of time to complete one cycle?

racwen said:
So if the period does not exist at 90degrees, does that mean that the pendulum takes an infinite or unknown amount of time to complete one cycle?
The reason I took you through that approach using limits was to demonstrate that it is known.

haruspex said:
The reason I took you through that approach using limits was to demonstrate that it is known.
Ohh ok, thank you for your help.

1. What is a pendulum tilted at an angle?

A pendulum tilted at an angle is a type of pendulum that swings back and forth in a curved motion due to being attached to a fixed point at an angle rather than straight down.

2. How does the angle of the pendulum affect its motion?

The angle of the pendulum affects its motion by changing the direction and speed of its swing. A larger angle will result in a wider curve and slower swing, while a smaller angle will result in a narrower curve and faster swing.

3. What are the factors that influence the period of a pendulum tilted at an angle?

The factors that influence the period of a pendulum tilted at an angle include the length of the pendulum, the angle at which it is tilted, and the force of gravity. These factors determine how quickly the pendulum swings back and forth.

4. How does the force of gravity affect a pendulum tilted at an angle?

The force of gravity is what causes a pendulum tilted at an angle to swing back and forth. It pulls the pendulum towards the center of the Earth, causing it to swing in a curved motion.

5. What are some real-life applications of a pendulum tilted at an angle?

A pendulum tilted at an angle has many practical applications, such as measuring the strength of earthquakes, testing the stability of buildings, and determining the depth of underground cavities. It is also used in clocks and other timekeeping devices.