Pendulum type angle question

In summary, the maximum tension in the vine while Tarzan swings is 805.4 N and the vine does not break, remaining at an angle of 180 deg. The equation for calculating this tension is T = mg(cos(theta) + 2h/r), where T is the tension in the vine, m is the mass of Tarzan, g is the acceleration due to gravity, theta is the angle of the vine, h is the height of the swing, and r is the length of the vine.
usc2013
******I figured it out********
Tarzan, who weighs 678 N, swings from a cliff at the end of a convenient vine that is 25.0 m long (see the figure). From the top of the cliff to the bottom of the swing, he descends by 3.2 m. If the vine doesn't break, what is the maximum of the tension in the vine?

The vine will break if the force on it exceeds 805.4 N. Does the vine break? If yes, at what angle does it break (if no enter 180. deg)?

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

mgh=1/2mv^2
mv^2/r=centripetal force

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for the max tension and got 852 N
I tried to draw triangles and couldn't get the right answer

My friend said the equation should be cos(angle)=2/3(1-h/r)+1/3(T/mg) but either that's wrong or I'm plugging in wrong

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
. The correct equation is: T = mg(cos(theta) + 2h/r), where T is the tension in the vine, m is the mass of Tarzan, g is the acceleration due to gravity, theta is the angle of the vine, h is the height of the swing, and r is the length of the vine. Plugging in the values, we get: T = 678 N (9.8 m/s^2) (cos(180 deg) + 2*3.2 m/25.0 m) = 805.4 N Since the tension is less than the maximum force the vine can handle (805.4 N < 852 N), the vine does not break and the angle remains at 180 deg.

1. How does a pendulum determine angle?

A pendulum determines angle based on its length and the force of gravity. The length of the pendulum affects the period of its oscillations, which can be used to calculate the angle of displacement.

2. What factors affect the angle of a pendulum?

The factors that affect the angle of a pendulum include the length of the pendulum, the force of gravity, and any external forces acting on the pendulum such as air resistance or friction.

3. How do you measure the angle of a pendulum?

The angle of a pendulum can be measured using a protractor or other angle measuring tool. The pendulum should be at rest and the angle should be measured from the vertical position of the pendulum, known as the equilibrium position.

4. What is the relationship between angle and period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is directly proportional to the square root of its length, meaning that a longer pendulum will have a longer period. The angle of displacement also affects the period, with larger angles resulting in longer periods.

5. How is a pendulum used to measure angles in real-world applications?

Pendulums are commonly used in devices such as inclinometers or seismometers to measure angles or changes in slope. They are also used in clocks to measure time, as the period of a pendulum is constant and can be used to keep accurate time.