1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum-why is this wrong?

1. Apr 20, 2008 #1
    Pendulum-why is this wrong??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 14 cm long 230 g rod is pivoted at one end. A 17 g ball of clay is stuck on the other end. What is the period if the rod and ball swing as a pendulum?

2. Relevant equations

T= 2pi*sqrt(L/g)

3. The attempt at a solution

I used the above equation

T=2pi*sqrt(.14m/9.80)
    T=.75 s which is wrong

I thought that the period of a pendulum didn't depend on mass, so why is this different?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

bcjochim07,

The formula you posted in relevant equations applies to a simple pendulum, where a mass is contained all at the end of a massless string. This is a physical pendulum and has a different formula for the period.

4. Apr 20, 2008 #3
    So would i find the center of mass by doing this:

let the position of the ball be x=0

cm= [(.02kg)(0m) + (.200kg)(.07m)]/.22kg

Then I would plug that into omega= sqrt[Mgl/I]
    where l is the distance between the center of mass and the pivot

Then I would find the moment of inertia by first finding the moment of inertia for the rod and then for the ball and adding those together. Then I do 2pi/omega to get the period

5. Apr 20, 2008 #4
    hmmm...I also tried to find the moment of inertia by using the total mass and the distance between the center of mass that I calculated and I didn't come up with the same moment of inertia as I did when I calculated them individually. Does this mean I calculated the center of mass wrong?

6. Apr 20, 2008 #5

alphysicist

Homework Helper

In your formula l is the distance between the center of mass and the pivot, so you probably want to make let the position of the pivot be x=0. (The way you did it is fine, but it gives the distance of the center of mass from the ball, so you would need to do a subtraction to find the l to plug in.)

c.o.m. = ( 0.017 * 0.14 + 0.230 * 0.07 ) / (0.0247)

I'm not sure I understood what you were doing in your last post (#4). Were you asking if you could find the moment of inertia by finding how far the center of mass is from the pivot and doing something like Mr^2? If so, that's not correct. It would predict, for example, that the I for a uniform solid sphere is 0 for an axis about it's center. (Because its center of mass is at its center.) But we know that's not true.

7. Apr 20, 2008 #6
    oops had the wrong #s in there

Ok- so is this the correct way to do the problem:
    for a pivoting rod: I=(1/3)ML^2
    so I= (1/3)(.230kg)(.14m)^2
    I= .0015 kgm^2 for rod

For the ball
    I=mR^2
    I=(.017kg)(.14m)^2
    I=3.33E-4

add them together: = .0018 kgm^2

Then for the center of mass:
    ( 0.017kg * 0.14m + 0.230kg * 0.07m ) / (0.247kg) = .0748 m

omega= sqrt[Mgl/I]
    so omega= sqrt [.247kg*9.80*.0748/.0018]
    = 100.59 rad/s

2pi/100.59 = .062 sec?

8. Apr 20, 2008 #7

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi bcjochim07,

I noticed that's rather small for the period! I think you forgot to take the square root when you calculated omega.

9. Apr 20, 2008 #8
    oh yep.... so T=.6265s

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?