1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum with changing length

1. May 12, 2008 #1
    A friend of mine asked me to help him with this exercise. He has to deliver it tomorrow:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A small child with mass equal to m is on a swing with length l and has the ability to change the length of the swing l. In the beginning he starts from the point 0 (see in the figure) where the length of the swing is l+b and the angle is [tex]\phi_0[/tex]. While he is moving to the right when he pass the vertical point 1, the length changes to l-b. Calculate the maximum angle [tex]\phi_f[/tex] where the child is on the highest point of the orbit.

2. Relevant equations

It is given that for small angles [tex] (1-cos(\phi_0)=\frac{{\phi_0}^2}{2} [/tex] .Also [tex]\frac{b}{l}<<1[/tex] and
    [tex] (1+\frac{b}{l})^3 \approx (1+3\frac{b}{l}) [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

This is my solution:

Since there is no information about the mass of the swing I assume its weight is negligible. Therefore the only returning force is the component of the weight.
    The point 1 is where the potential energy is zero.
    From the 0 point to 1 we have
    [tex] mgy=\frac{1}{2}mu^2[/tex]
    From point 1 to 3 we have
    [tex] mgy'=\frac{1}{2}mu^2[/tex]
    And because the second parts are equal so are the first parts.

[tex] gy=gy' \Rightarrow gxtan\phi_0 = gx' tan \phi_f [/tex]

Because the angles are small [tex]tan\phi \approx sin \phi[/tex]

Also [tex] x=(l+b)sin\phi x'=(l-b)sin\phi [/tex]

[tex] gxtan\phi_0 = gx' tan \phi_f \Rightarrow (l+b) sin^2 \phi_0=(l-b) sin^2 \phi_f \Rightarrow [/tex]
    [tex]\frac{1-cos2\phi_0}{2} (l+b) = \frac{1-cos2\phi_f}{2} (l-b) \Rightarrow [/tex]
    [tex] \cdots \Rightarrow \phi_f=\sqrt{\frac{\phi_0^2(l+b)}{l-b}}[/tex]

Is everything ok?

I also have to point out that he cannot use Lagrange dynamics.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted