How do you relate work to the problem of a pendulum with a constant force?

In summary, The problem is about a ball connected to a string forming a simple pendulum, with a constant horizontal wind force acting on it. The first part of the problem asks to show that the maximum height of the ball is equal to H=2L/(1+(mg/F)^2). The second part asks for the equilibrium height of the ball, which is less than L. To solve the first part, one needs to compute the work done on the ball by the wind force and relate it to the change in gravitational potential energy. For the second part, one can find the angle of deflection of the pendulum and use it to compute the height of the ball.
feelau
Hi, so I'm kinda stuck on this problem, any advise on any part of this problem is appreciated. So the problem states that a ball having mass m is connected to a string with length L and forms a simple pendulum. A wind of constant horizontal F is blowing, the questions asks us to show that the maximum height is H=2L/(1+(mg/F)^2) then it asks us to determine the equilibrium height of ball/ show formula. I tried solving the questions and for the first one, I'm missing the power and for the second one, I get H=L. I'm not sure if they're right, and if they're wrong can someone help? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
feelau said:
Hi, so I'm kinda stuck on this problem, any advise on any part of this problem is appreciated. So the problem states that a ball having mass m is connected to a string with length L and forms a simple pendulum. A wind of constant horizontal F is blowing, the questions asks us to show that the maximum height is H=2L/(1+(mg/F)^2) then it asks us to determine the equilibrium height of ball/ show formula. I tried solving the questions and for the first one, I'm missing the power and for the second one, I get H=L. I'm not sure if they're right, and if they're wrong can someone help? thanks
The second part is easier than the first. Is this a calculus based course? If H is measured relative to the bottom, the equilibrium height has to be less than L.

Yes this is calculus based but I don't think this problem requires calculus though...right? I think I understand why equilibrium height has to be less than L but I still don't/can't get the first part. I don't know how (mg/F) is squared...does anyone else know? It's due tomorow :S

feelau said:
Yes this is calculus based but I don't think this problem requires calculus though...right? I think I understand why equilibrium height has to be less than L but I still don't/can't get the first part. I don't know how (mg/F) is squared...does anyone else know? It's due tomorow :S
The equilibrium position is just a statics problem with weight, tension, and constant horizontal force adding to zero. The first part I think has to be done by computing the work done on the ball by the wind force. The work done will equal the change in gravitational potential energy. The problem is, the motion is not parallel to the force, so you will have a position dependent dW (work) to integrate.

On the equilibrium one, how do I incorporate height into the force equations?

feelau said:
On the equilibrium one, how do I incorporate height into the force equations?
Do it in terms of the angle of deflection of the pendulum. The tension in the string will be at an angle to the vertical. You find the angle by summing gravity, tension, and wind forces to zero. When you have the angle, you can compute the height of the ball.

So on the first part, how would we relate work to the problem because I don't think there's anyway to relate position like the horizontal component of position

well thank you very much anyway, you've helped me a lot

feelau said:
So on the first part, how would we relate work to the problem because I don't think there's anyway to relate position like the horizontal component of position
Work is dW = F<dot>dr, where <dot> is the dot product and F and dr are vectors. dr is an infinitesimal displacement along the path of the ball, so its direction is changing. F is constant. dW = F*dx where F is the magnitude of F and dx is the horizontal component of dr.

What is a pendulum with constant force?

A pendulum with constant force is a physical system consisting of a weight (known as the bob) suspended from a pivot point by a string or rod. The force acting on the bob is always the same, regardless of its position, resulting in a regular back-and-forth motion.

What is the period of a pendulum with constant force?

The period of a pendulum with constant force is the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing, from one side to the other and back again. It is dependent on the length of the pendulum, with longer pendulums having longer periods.

How does the length of the pendulum affect its motion in a pendulum with constant force?

The length of the pendulum directly affects the period of its motion. A longer pendulum will have a longer period, meaning it will take longer to complete one full swing. This is because the longer length increases the distance the bob must travel, resulting in a slower motion.

What is the relationship between the force and acceleration in a pendulum with constant force?

In a pendulum with constant force, the force acting on the bob is always perpendicular to its motion. This results in a constant acceleration towards the pivot point, which is proportional to the force and inversely proportional to the mass of the bob.

What factors can affect the motion of a pendulum with constant force?

The motion of a pendulum with constant force can be affected by various factors such as the length and weight of the bob, the strength of the constant force, and external forces such as air resistance. Changes in these factors can result in changes to the period and amplitude of the pendulum's motion.