Pendulum with non-rigid string

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a non-rigid string in a pendulum and how to incorporate its resistance force into Lagrangian mechanics. The suggested approach is to treat the resistance force as a potential energy term in the Lagrangian and use the Euler-Lagrange equations to solve for the pendulum's motion.
agostino981
Hello guys, this is my first post so if I have something done wrong, please tell me. :P

When we come across with pendula, they are all with rigid rod, whether with mass or not. I wonder if the pendulum has a non-rigid string which can estimate the motion of string when the pendulum rises above [itex]\pi[/itex].

My plan is like this:

Assume the string is a complex pendulum which are composed of numerous rigid rod which that the accuracy of the model will increase (hopefully). Air resistance and resistance due to friction between the string and the hook or whatever is negligible.

As string can't be folded to much, there must be a curvature and the resistance against the bending will be shown as [itex]k \theta[/itex], where [itex]k[/itex] is the constant depending on the material and [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between normal and the rod.

How to input the resistance force due to angle of bending into Lagrangian mechanics? And, any suggestions?

-Agos

Physics news on Phys.org
One way to incorporate the resistance force of the non-rigid string into Lagrangian mechanics is to treat it as a potential energy term in the Lagrangian. You can do this by adding a term to the Lagrangian of the form U(θ) = kθ^2, where θ is the angle between the normal and the rod, and k is a constant depending on the material. This term represents the potential energy due to bending of the string. The other terms in the Lagrangian would remain unchanged. Then the Euler-Lagrange equations can be used to solve for the motion of the pendulum.

1. How does the length of the string affect the period of the pendulum?

The length of the string does not affect the period of the pendulum. The period of a pendulum is only influenced by the acceleration due to gravity and the length of the pendulum's arm.

2. What is a non-rigid string?

A non-rigid string is a string that can bend or stretch under the weight of the pendulum, unlike a rigid string which remains straight.

3. How does the weight of the pendulum affect its motion?

The weight of the pendulum does not affect its motion. The motion of a pendulum is determined solely by the length of its string and the angle at which it is released.

4. Can a pendulum with a non-rigid string be used to measure time accurately?

Yes, a pendulum with a non-rigid string can still be used to measure time accurately. However, the amplitude of the pendulum's swing may decrease over time due to the string's bending or stretching, leading to slightly less precise time measurements.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of a pendulum with a non-rigid string?

The accuracy of a pendulum with a non-rigid string can be affected by external factors such as air resistance and friction, as well as internal factors such as the weight and flexibility of the string itself.