Pendulum with Spring | Buy Now

In summary, it is important to consider all terms when making approximations and to ensure that each term is chopped off at the same power. In this case, the incorrect approximation of sin(theta) as theta and cos(theta) as 1 led to an incorrect answer. It is also important to remember to include all necessary terms in the equation.
hang
Homework Statement
the question asks for the angle when the kinetic energy is one forth of the maximum kinetic energy. At first I equate :

gravitational potential energy + elastic potential energy + 1/4 maximum rotational energy= maximum rotational energy

then I assume that sin(theta)~theta and cos(theta)~ 1

However, the g value (gravity) just get cancelled and my answer is wrong which is as expected since I did not include g.

Where have I gone wrong? when the rotational energy is maximum, or when angular speed is maximum, do the system still has potential energy?
Relevant Equations
energy and moment of inertia
1618504889799.png
1618504923431.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

hang said:
Where have I gone wrong?

Hard to say if you don't post the steps you take to find your answer ...

##\ ##

Likes hang
1618509989849.png

this is my working, sorry for the mess

hang said:
View attachment 281584
this is my working, sorry for the mess
You approximated ##\cos(\theta)## as 1, thereby throwing away a ##\theta^2## term, but kept the ##\theta^2## term from ##\sin^2(\theta)##.

Likes hang and BvU
haruspex said:
You approximated ##\cos(\theta)## as 1, thereby throwing away a ##\theta^2## term, but kept the ##\theta^2## term from ##\sin^2(\theta)##.
I approximated sin(theta) as theta ; and cos(theta) as 1. So shouldn't the sin^2 (theta) become (theta)^2 ?

So is my assumption for the energy correct? maximum rotational speed happens when potential energy is 0

thank you

hang said:
I approximated sin(theta) as theta ; and cos(theta) as 1. So shouldn't the sin^2 (theta) become (theta)^2 ?
That's not the right way to think about making approximations. You can't make them that independently.
If your equation is a sum of terms equating to zero then you need to chop each term off at the same power. You have a ##\sin^2(\theta)## term, not a ##\sin(\theta)## term. You chopped it off at ##\theta^2##, so you need to do the same with the ##\cos(\theta)## term.
Note that it changes the answer.

Likes hang
haruspex said:
That's not the right way to think about making approximations. You can't make them that independently.
If your equation is a sum of terms equating to zero then you need to chop each term off at the same power. You have a ##\sin^2(\theta)## term, not a ##\sin(\theta)## term. You chopped it off at ##\theta^2##, so you need to do the same with the ##\cos(\theta)## term.
Note that it changes the answer.
thank you so much, you are right. My approximation was wrong. And I also realized that I forgot to square the rotational speed in the equation. I really appreciate your help

What is a pendulum with spring?

A pendulum with spring is a scientific instrument that consists of a pendulum attached to a spring. This combination allows for the study of the relationship between the period of a pendulum and the restoring force of the spring.

How does a pendulum with spring work?

A pendulum with spring works by utilizing the properties of both a pendulum and a spring. The pendulum swings back and forth due to gravity, while the spring provides a restoring force that keeps the pendulum in motion. This allows for the measurement of the period of the pendulum and the force of the spring.

What are the applications of a pendulum with spring?

A pendulum with spring has various applications in the fields of physics and engineering. It can be used to study the relationship between period and force, as well as to demonstrate concepts such as simple harmonic motion and energy conservation. It also has practical applications in timekeeping devices.

How do I use a pendulum with spring for scientific experiments?

To use a pendulum with spring for scientific experiments, you will need to set up the instrument according to the instructions provided. Then, you can vary the length of the pendulum or the amount of force applied to the spring to observe the effects on the period of the pendulum. You can also measure the period and force using appropriate tools and record your observations for analysis.

Where can I buy a pendulum with spring?

You can purchase a pendulum with spring from scientific supply companies or online retailers. Make sure to research the product and seller before making a purchase to ensure the quality and accuracy of the instrument. Additionally, some universities or science museums may have pendulum with spring kits available for purchase or rental.