Penetration Depth Review - Exam Prep

In summary, the problem involves using a high index prism to launch an evanescence wave at the water/prism interface, with a He-Ne laser as the light source. The homework requires finding the angle to excite the wave and calculating the penetration depth into the water. Several attempts at solving the problem have been made, including using the equation sinθ*n1 = sin90*n2 and finding the critical angle of incidence for the prism-water boundary. The final solution uses the expression y = (λ/n1)(1/2) to determine the penetration depth, which is equivalent to half a wavelength in the medium associated with refractive index n1.
nmsurobert
This is a review problem for an upcoming exam. I'm pretty sure a problem very similar to this will be on the exam. And surprise surprise I'm freaken lost.

1. Homework Statement

A high index prism is used to launch an evanescence wave at the water/prism interface as shown. A He-Ne laser (λ = 623 mm) is used as the light source.
a) find the required angle to excite the evanescence wave.
b) calculate the penetration depth, the distance into the water at which the amplitude of the evanescence wave has dropped to a value of 1/e of its maximum value at the interface, into the water.
This is the picture connected to the problem.
image.jpeg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (a) I thought sinθ*n1 = sin90*n2, where n1 = 1 and n2 = 2, solve for θ would give me a solution. It did for for one of his homework assignments. But it doesn't work here.

For (b) I think I need to get the answer to part (a) first but even then I'm still stuck. My book had two sentences related to penetration depth so it's no help at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok for (b) i found that to get the drop by e-1 the wave has to propagate a distance of y = 1/α. where α = 2ωn1/c.

if i solve for ω and plug it in the i get y = 5x10-8.

does that sound right?

for part (a) is n1 = 2 and n2 = 1.33? i get a solution with that. 41.6 degrees

nmsurobert said:
for part (a) is n1 = 2 and n2 = 1.33? i get a solution with that. 41.6 degrees
I think they're looking for the angle of incidence θ at the air-prism boundary. So you need to deal with both interfaces. One to find the critical angle of incidence for the prism-water boundary, the second to find the angle of incidence required at the air-prism boundary.

nmsurobert said:
ok for (b) i found that to get the drop by e-1 the wave has to propagate a distance of y = 1/α. where α = 2ωn1/c.

I'm not too familiar with the details of penetration depth. But those expressions only reference one refractive index, n1. Is there some context surrounding the expressions that would clarify the scenario?

From your information, y = 1/α = (c/ω)/(2n1) = (λ/n1)(1/2)

That would make the penetration depth a half wavelength of the light in whatever medium n1 is associated with.

1. What is penetration depth?

Penetration depth is the distance that a material or substance can be penetrated by another material or force. In the context of this exam prep, it refers to the distance that an electromagnetic wave (such as light) can penetrate into a material.

2. Why is understanding penetration depth important?

Understanding penetration depth is important for various scientific and technological applications. It can help determine the effectiveness of materials for shielding against radiation, the depth of penetration for medical imaging techniques, and the absorption of light in materials for optical devices.

3. How is penetration depth measured or calculated?

Penetration depth can be measured or calculated using various methods, depending on the material and type of penetrating force. For electromagnetic waves, it is often measured as the depth at which the intensity of the wave is reduced to 1/e (about 37%) of its original value. It can also be calculated using mathematical equations based on the properties of the material.

4. What factors affect penetration depth?

The factors that affect penetration depth include the properties of the penetrating force (such as wavelength and energy), the properties of the material being penetrated (such as density and composition), and the angle of incidence of the force on the material.

5. How can understanding penetration depth be useful in real-world applications?

Understanding penetration depth can have practical applications in a variety of fields. For example, it can help engineers design more effective radiation shielding for nuclear power plants, or help doctors optimize the use of medical imaging techniques for diagnosing diseases. It can also aid in the development of new materials for optical devices or solar cells.