Penguin Named Colonel In Norwegian Army

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
...He started out as a Lance Corporal and was promoted four times, said a newspaper in Scotland.

Nils was seen reviewing the guard during a ceremony in his honor.[continued]
http://images.ibsys.com/2005/0818/4866154_200X150.jpg [Broken]
http://www.nbc10.com/news/4866202/detail.html [Broken]

I'm thinking that they really need a draft.

Last edited by a moderator:

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
:rofl:
It's actually true you know..

You shouldn't have posted this. Now Pengwuino is going to want a rank.

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
And what about dduardo's little friend?

There's also Penguin-Rader, who doesn't show up that often, but will probably now want to be known as Second Lieutenant, Penguin-Rader.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I saw it on the news yesterday I think it was. It was very cute. The penguin stopped to check out some of the troops, and the commentary was that he was inspecting the troops (he was probably looking for treats). The best part of watching the video coverage was that after they did that, you saw the one soldier who was walking behind him smirking as he was trying to suppress laughter. That had to be tough to walk around completely serious about something so funny.

The penguin was adopted as a mascot, so I doubt they expected this to be picked up in international news as anything special. Probably just something fun as a morale booster.

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I think it is important to emphasize that Nils Olav (the penguin) holds the title of Honorary Colonel of his Majesty's Guard, he's not a regular colonel..

arildno said:
I think it is important to emphasize that Nils Olav (the penguin) holds the title of Honorary Colonel of his Majesty's Guard, he's not a regular colonel..
I don't believe this for a second. Just look at his demeanor. That penguin is in command!

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
That's a tough one to evaluate. I'd say that would never happen in the US Air Force - our set of bolt cutters never made it above Captain. But, then again, their penguin is probably better at his job than our Captain Cutters was.

Nils should be weary, though. You can go back down in rank almost as quickly as you go up. We finally realized the folly of promoting a set of bolt cutters to the rank of Captain and demoted him back to Airman.

Our 'building' was actually built inside a larger building (the building where the 'Enola Gay' and 'Bock's Car' were made, as a matter of fact). Our neighbors used the area outside of our emergency exit as a storage area, which meant anyone exiting in an emergency couldn't get more than 10 yds away before they were confronted by a locked gate. We put a set of bolt cutters by the emergency exit where the first person out could take it with him. Every shift, we faithfully checked to make sure it was still there and logged it's presence in our crew logs, right under the entry that listed all the crewmembers.

We had a new DO (the person in charge of ops) and eventually he became kind of curious, "Who's this Cutters, guy? I see him on just about every shift! Doesn't he ever go on vacation?" And Luietenant Cutters got his name.

He made it all the way to Captain through sheer longevity of service. But, eventually, the time came for him to earn his pay. We had a small malfunction in the room that housed the batteries for emergency power and the crew had to exit out the emergency exit because of possible fumes. It turned out Capt Cutters wasn't quite up to the task of cutting the lock or the chain holding the gate shut. He couldn't even cut through the fence! The entire crew wound up having to climb over the fence (quite a feat for the pregnant crew member).

We demoted Capt Cutters to Airman ...... then did what we should have done in the first place. If our neighbors were going to lock their gate, they had to give us a key to the lock. After all, if our emergency exit opened up into the storage area, the locked gate wasn't actually keeping us from pillaging their equipment.

russ_watters

Mentor
Don't mess with penguins. They bite. However, chicks dig penguin bites (a buddy of mine works for the NJ Aquarium).

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
russ_watters said:
Don't mess with penguins. They bite. However, chicks dig penguin bites (a buddy of mine works for the NJ Aquarium).
Well, I suppose penguin bites make for a more interesting story than, "My computer bit me." :biggrin:

honestrosewater

Gold Member
At least one carrier pigeon has been given some whatchamacallit in some other military. :redface: Meh, I'll look it up.

Oh, it was a medal: http://www.si.edu/resource/faq/nmah/cherami.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Lisa!

Gold Member
I've not seen Pengwuino around here today! :wink:

dduardo

Staff Emeritus
Hmmm...interesting.....

It's true, penguins do like to byte.

Galileo

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Penguins for president!

Pengwuino

Gold Member
ahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaaha
hahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha
ahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Pengwuino said:
ahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaaha
hahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha
ahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
There's a vacancy in the Norway's North Batallion, BTW, in case you're interested..

Lisa!

Gold Member
arildno said:
There's a vacancy in the Norway's North Batallion, BTW, in case you're interested..
:rofl: :rofl: As I remmember he was going to kill you. so I think there should be an empty place for him in the prison.

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
well, I live in the southern part of Norway.
That's practically as far from the north of Norway as Rome is from where I live.

Mk

dduardo said:
Hmmm...interesting.....

It's true, penguins do like to byte.
Ahahahaa
Mhmm.

Can penguins get rabies? Only mammals get rabies right?