Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Penguin Named Colonel In Norwegian Army

1. Aug 19, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[​IMG]
    http://www.nbc10.com/news/4866202/detail.html

I'm thinking that they really need a draft.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

:rofl:
    It's actually true you know..

4. Aug 19, 2005 #3
    You shouldn't have posted this. Now Pengwuino is going to want a rank.

5. Aug 19, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

And what about dduardo's little friend?

6. Aug 19, 2005 #5
    There's also Penguin-Rader, who doesn't show up that often, but will probably now want to be known as Second Lieutenant, Penguin-Rader.

7. Aug 19, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I saw it on the news yesterday I think it was. It was very cute. The penguin stopped to check out some of the troops, and the commentary was that he was inspecting the troops (he was probably looking for treats). The best part of watching the video coverage was that after they did that, you saw the one soldier who was walking behind him smirking as he was trying to suppress laughter. That had to be tough to walk around completely serious about something so funny.

The penguin was adopted as a mascot, so I doubt they expected this to be picked up in international news as anything special. Probably just something fun as a morale booster.

8. Aug 19, 2005 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I think it is important to emphasize that Nils Olav (the penguin) holds the title of Honorary Colonel of his Majesty's Guard, he's not a regular colonel..

9. Aug 19, 2005 #8
    I don't believe this for a second. Just look at his demeanor. That penguin is in command!

10. Aug 19, 2005 #9

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a tough one to evaluate. I'd say that would never happen in the US Air Force - our set of bolt cutters never made it above Captain. But, then again, their penguin is probably better at his job than our Captain Cutters was.

Nils should be weary, though. You can go back down in rank almost as quickly as you go up. We finally realized the folly of promoting a set of bolt cutters to the rank of Captain and demoted him back to Airman.

Our 'building' was actually built inside a larger building (the building where the 'Enola Gay' and 'Bock's Car' were made, as a matter of fact). Our neighbors used the area outside of our emergency exit as a storage area, which meant anyone exiting in an emergency couldn't get more than 10 yds away before they were confronted by a locked gate. We put a set of bolt cutters by the emergency exit where the first person out could take it with him. Every shift, we faithfully checked to make sure it was still there and logged it's presence in our crew logs, right under the entry that listed all the crewmembers.

We had a new DO (the person in charge of ops) and eventually he became kind of curious, "Who's this Cutters, guy? I see him on just about every shift! Doesn't he ever go on vacation?" And Luietenant Cutters got his name.

He made it all the way to Captain through sheer longevity of service. But, eventually, the time came for him to earn his pay. We had a small malfunction in the room that housed the batteries for emergency power and the crew had to exit out the emergency exit because of possible fumes. It turned out Capt Cutters wasn't quite up to the task of cutting the lock or the chain holding the gate shut. He couldn't even cut through the fence! The entire crew wound up having to climb over the fence (quite a feat for the pregnant crew member).

We demoted Capt Cutters to Airman ...... then did what we should have done in the first place. If our neighbors were going to lock their gate, they had to give us a key to the lock. After all, if our emergency exit opened up into the storage area, the locked gate wasn't actually keeping us from pillaging their equipment.

11. Aug 19, 2005 #10

Lisa!

Gold Member

12. Aug 19, 2005 #11

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Don't mess with penguins. They bite. However, chicks dig penguin bites (a buddy of mine works for the NJ Aquarium).

13. Aug 19, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I suppose penguin bites make for a more interesting story than, "My computer bit me." :biggrin:

14. Aug 19, 2005 #13

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Last edited: Aug 19, 2005
  15. Aug 19, 2005 #14

Lisa!

Gold Member

I've not seen Pengwuino around here today! :wink:

16. Aug 19, 2005 #15

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Hmmm...interesting.....

It's true, penguins do like to byte.

17. Aug 19, 2005 #16

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Penguins for president!

18. Aug 20, 2005 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

ahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaaha
    hahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    ahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

19. Aug 20, 2005 #18

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

There's a vacancy in the Norway's North Batallion, BTW, in case you're interested..

20. Aug 20, 2005 #19

Lisa!

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: As I remmember he was going to kill you. so I think there should be an empty place for him in the prison.

21. Aug 20, 2005 #20

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

well, I live in the southern part of Norway.
    That's practically as far from the north of Norway as Rome is from where I live.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?