Penguin sliding up a ramp with friction

In summary: Your work is really helpful.In summary, your work is helpful and can be adapted to help solve problems more quickly.
isukatphysics69
penguin.PNG
1. Homework Statement

in picture
IMG_20180326_214212.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

in picture, not sure if i am even doing this properly but i think i am? i am going to continue trying part b but please if you can let me know if i am doing this proper let me know...Thank you

Attachments

• penguin.PNG
    penguin.PNG
    12.4 KB · Views: 790
  • IMG_20180326_214212.jpg
    IMG_20180326_214212.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 773
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your work so far is probably OK but it is hard to follow what you are doing because you are substituting numbers right from the start. It is best to find an expression in terms of symbols giving the minimum force in part (a) in terms of symbols not numbers. Use W = weight of penguin, θ = incline angle, μs = coeff. static friction, μk = coeff. of kinetic friction, Fmin = minimum force, Fmax=maximum force, Fconst = force needed to have the system move at constant velocity. Believe me, if you do this it will pay off in the end because essentially the same equation in terms of symbols answers all the parts with some minor adjustments. Furthermore, you will be able to see the bigger picture of what's going on.

kuruman said:
Your work so far is probably OK but it is hard to follow what you are doing because you are substituting numbers right from the start. It is best to find an expression in terms of symbols giving the minimum force in part (a) in terms of symbols not numbers. Use W = weight of penguin, θ = incline angle, μs = coeff. static friction, μk = coeff. of kinetic friction, Fmin = minimum force, Fmax=maximum force, Fconst = force needed to have the system move at constant velocity. Believe me, if you do this it will pay off in the end because essentially the same equation in terms of symbols answers all the parts with some minor adjustments. Furthermore, you will be able to see the bigger picture of what's going on.
okay thank you for the tip, my professor does this too i should probably adapt that habit.

isukatphysics69 said:
okay thank you for the tip, my professor does this too i should probably adapt that habit.
I agree with your professor 200%. It's a good habit because
(a) You can enter the formula and the input variables in something like a spreadsheet and calculate the answer in no time. This eliminates or helps troubleshoot calculation errors because recalculation is easy.
(b) If the answer is incorrect you can troubleshoot it by performing dimensional analysis and, if that fails, check your algebra easily lest you forgot a given quantity, squaring what needs to be squared, starting with an incorrect equation, etc.

Likes isukatphysics69
ok for part b i am getting 46.2 Newtons

Answers = a.)8.6N, b.) 46.2N, c.) 38.6N

isukatphysics69 said:
ok for part b i am getting 46.2 Newtons

Answers = a.)8.6N, b.) 46.2N, c.) 38.6N
Those all look right.

Likes isukatphysics69
haruspex said:
Those all look right.
I agree.

Likes isukatphysics69
YES! Thank you guys

1. How does friction affect a penguin sliding up a ramp?

Friction plays a crucial role in the movement of a penguin sliding up a ramp. As the penguin pushes off the ground and slides up the ramp, friction between its feet and the surface of the ramp creates a force that opposes its motion. This force must be overcome by the penguin in order to continue sliding up the ramp.

2. What factors can affect the amount of friction experienced by a penguin sliding up a ramp?

The main factors that can affect the amount of friction experienced by a penguin sliding up a ramp are the materials of the ramp and the penguin's feet, the smoothness of the ramp's surface, and the weight and force applied by the penguin.

3. Can a penguin slide up a ramp without any friction?

No, it is not possible for a penguin to slide up a ramp without any friction. Friction is a necessary force that allows the penguin to push off the ground and propel itself up the ramp. Without any friction, the penguin would not be able to move at all.

4. How can the amount of friction be reduced for a penguin sliding up a ramp?

The amount of friction experienced by a penguin sliding up a ramp can be reduced by using materials with lower coefficients of friction, such as ice or wax, on the ramp's surface. Additionally, reducing the weight of the penguin or the force applied can also decrease the amount of friction.

5. What is the relationship between the angle of the ramp and the amount of friction experienced by a penguin sliding up?

The steeper the angle of the ramp, the more friction a penguin will experience while sliding up it. This is because as the angle increases, the component of the penguin's weight that is parallel to the ramp also increases, resulting in a stronger force of friction. A shallower angle would result in less friction for the penguin to overcome.