Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Penn and Teller tv show

1. Jan 5, 2006 #1

cronxeh

Gold Member

http://www.sho.com/site/ptbs/home.do
    [​IMG]

Does anyone watch this hilariously awesome show? I found it to be both entertaining and enlightening.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2006 #2

Mk

No. What's it about?

4. Jan 5, 2006 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

They pretty much echo everything I think. Its very reassuring and comforting to know that amids this insanity we have this show :cool:

5. Jan 6, 2006 #4
    I've never seen this show, but Penn and Teller are two very entertaining guys.

6. Jan 6, 2006 #5
    When I was heavier set and had longer hair I was told I looked like Penn. I'm not sure it was very complimentary.

7. Jan 6, 2006 #6
    I do enjoy that show a lot, but take their opinions with a grain of entertainer's salt.

8. Jan 6, 2006 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I watched all of the trailers they had on their site. It looks like a good show. Not good enough to pay for Showtime, but pretty good. Maybe it will come out on DVD.

As a practitioner, I liked the Yoga promo. "It's stretching...."

9. Jan 6, 2006 #8

cronxeh

Gold Member

I only pay 5 bucks a month for ess.tv - online streaming of all TV shows (Mythbusters, Scrubs, XFiles, Simpsons, Family Guy, and BS of course etc) . Its legal as long as its a private membership I suppose :biggrin:

Matter of fact it is legal because it is a streaming of a recorded broadcasted TV show making is a secondary broadcast, and since its done by a non-profit organization, its perfectly fine. Moving right along.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  10. Jan 6, 2006 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Crap! That site's only accessable from the US. :grumpy:

Anybody wanna hack me up a fix for that? :uhh:

11. Jan 6, 2006 #10

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Hmm...I have never heard of that. I'll look into it. Thanks!

12. Jan 6, 2006 #11
    They need rename the show not because it has a cuss word in it but because people might think that it is

13. Jan 6, 2006 #12
    That's interesting. BTEfnet was shutdown by the MPAA for hosting tv-show torrents, which were completely free, of course. It would seem to me that a premium private membership would be more heinous, unless they're paying the MPAA not to sue them or are buying the rights somehow to show them.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-5705142.html - MPAA targets BTEfnet

Does your service show commercials with their broadcasts?

14. Jan 6, 2006 #13

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I love those guys! Sometimes they are over the top, but so what? I'm on their side.

(Yes, it's available on DVD.)

15. Jan 8, 2006 #14

A commercial streaming service is not a commercial bittorrent tracker. The only thing the two have in common really is that they were both providing TV shows. Streaming is not downloading. Its broadcasting. If you download a file, you can share that with others. Something that is streamed on the other hand, can't be. Well, basically. You could save the data, but that's not the service the company is offering you, just as your cable company doesn't sell you the ability to put a pc with a video capture card on your cable connection to record and share all your programs. Streaming, is like cable, just selling the broadcast, not a file.

16. Jan 9, 2006 #15

Mk

tvtorrents.com however is a free tv torrent service.

17. Jan 9, 2006 #16
    The show is bull****. Half the stuff they present on that show are false.

18. Jan 9, 2006 #17

cronxeh

Gold Member

Care to back it up?

19. Jan 9, 2006 #18
    Like during one show they claim how there is more bacteria on your hands that your ass, so you rub asses instead of shake hands. But they fail to mention that the bacteria on in feces is deadly and the bacteria on your hands isn't nescessarily.

I've only watched like 3 shows, but that one turned me off to it. Maybe half their stuff isn't false but that one struck a nerve with me. I did enjoy the Greenpeace episode though.

20. Jan 9, 2006 #19

cronxeh

Gold Member

First, you made a statement based on 3 shows? Thats a little B.S. dont you think?

Second, they went to MD's, so I'll let the lab results speak for themselves and keep it objective, and it wasnt bacteria from around sphincter, but rather around buttocks that contact with the toilet seat.

Last, every bacteria is deadly if your immunity is nonexistent. Besides, Ecoli in intestines is harmless for most people (some strains like O157:H7 cause diarrhea with kidney damage)

21. Jan 9, 2006 #20

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Furthermore, while P&T are into drama and entertainment, they are also committed to accuracy. If you see something that you know isn't true, let them know. I'm serious--they will bend over backwards to correct any mistakes they might make.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?