Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Penn State ice cream is so good.

1. Jul 17, 2006 #1
    Have you ever had PSU Creamery ice cream?

The delicate texture is neither too soft nor too hard, but perfect. When your spoon (or tongue) comes into contact with your favorite flavor, the experience is at once wholesome and satisfying, but also teasing. I can't understand how I lived without it. The milkshakes, I hear, are pretty good as well. I'm gonna give them a try within the next few days (it's HOT at University Park-- over 90 right now).

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2006 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'll challenge your PSU ice cream with U. of Wisconsin's Babcock Hall ice cream! :)

UW, being in a dairy state, of course has a creamery and a school on making ice cream. I remember way back when, when you asked for a single, you actually get 2 fat scoops of ice cream. Their best ever was a double double chocolate almond (the 2 double's weren't a typo). It was so rich in chocolate, I think the chocolate was melting out of the ice cream. They had that only for one season and it never reappeared for the rest of the years I was there.

OK, I hate you. Now I have a craving for some good ice cream. I may have to make a quick run to a ColdStone after I get home.

Zz.

4. Jul 17, 2006 #3
    We have a Cold Stone too, actually, but it's not as popular as PSU's. I had Cold Stone a few months ago, I believe it was the Birthday Cake special. It had their famous cake batter ice cream with chocolate and sprinkles.

Anyway, I can't say PSU's is better than U of Wi's but I can say that ice cream is now one of my favorite foods. "From cow to the cone in three days" is what the tour guides say here. It's awesome going into the Creamery and seeing boxes and boxes of ice cream in the freezer.

You know, I hate myself too. I want some but it's too hot outside!

5. Jul 17, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And I'd challenge both of you to compete against anything that comes out of the Ohio State Physics dept. liquid nitrogen ice cream maker.

6. Jul 17, 2006 #5
    Are you people taking any kind of prescription drugs at the moment? :uhh:

[​IMG]

One word: Daim

I don't care about home made or state-wise ice cream.

:rofl:

7. Jul 17, 2006 #6
    I've heard stories about Cornell's ice cream too...

EDIT: Why can't UA have ice cream :(

8. Jul 17, 2006 #7
    And I challenge all of you to a staring contest. [​IMG]

9. Jul 17, 2006 #8
    I've just met my aunt and her daughter in a nearby store and we all went to Donald's for cones.

10. Jul 17, 2006 #9

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Brain Freeze! :biggrin: :rofl:

Actually, I think the creameries at most Ag universities are pretty good. I used to get chocolate malts (with extra malt) at the creamery where I went to school. :tongue2:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  11. Jul 17, 2006 #10
    let us agree on one this coldstone is the world largest, most overpriced, and best tasting ice cream everywhere?

12. Jul 17, 2006 #11

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Nope. I've had both too and The Creamery is still the best iced cream I've ever had.

13. Jul 17, 2006 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You guys are making miss Graeters! :cry: That's a small chain local to Cincinnati. It's the one thing I REALLY miss about living there, especially on a HOT day like today when ice cream would be perfect. It's just plain old store-bought here. :frown:

14. Jul 17, 2006 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's up here in Columbus as well. They've got some Graet ice cream! Really!

15. Jul 17, 2006 #14

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hate to say it, but there's a place right outside Cornell (I forget the name, I used to go there after doing hockey camp at Cornell) that completely kicks every other places ass.

And I'm unbiased, since I'm not even going to Cornell

16. Jul 17, 2006 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Theirs is the best I've had anywhere! Even Ben & Jerry's or Haagen Dazs taste like cardboard by comparison. Black raspberry chip is just the thing for a hot summer day, and their butter pecan tastes like someone made it out of melted butter! :approve: The only thing I didn't like were their sorbets...too sweet for me. Oh...what was the name of the one they made specially for the Ohio State fans? Buckeye Blitz, or something like that? It has chocolate covered peanut butter balls that are supposed to resemble buckeyes.

I might have to visit you just as an excuse to go to a Graeters! Columbus is a bit closer than going all the way to Cincinnati. :biggrin:

17. Jul 17, 2006 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You bet! Most all weekends this summer are good for me. No impending conferences for nearly 9 months and nothing else that's keeping me permanently chained to the lab. Maybe, we should have a Summer gathering at Columbus, wot?

Meanwhile, I've got to try me the butter pecan. Sounds yummy!

18. Jul 17, 2006 #17
    Best icecream? In my taste, Italian icecream, in Italy!

19. Jul 17, 2006 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ooh, that would be fun! I should have a few free weekends coming up if anyone else wants to plan a Columbus get-together in the next month or two. I propose we meet at Graeters! :biggrin:

I made it my mission to try every flavor they had before I moved. Actually, I had avoided the mint chip, because I'm not usually fond of that flavor, then a friend had six pints of it shipped to me as a thank you gift for rescuing them from near kitchen disasters over Christmas (I wouldn't dare try shipping it this time of year...it'd melt before I got it, even with it packed on dry ice), and included mint chip with it...I even liked their mint chip, and I never like mint chip!

20. Jul 17, 2006 #19
    ....I win.

21. Jul 17, 2006 #20
    I like baskin robbins pumpkin ice cream. You can only get it in october. It's good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?