1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Penning trap

1. May 19, 2009 #1
    i have a personal project that has been brewing in my head since high school. i want to make an electron trap that is capable of holding more than a few particles. a friend has been helping me research the capability of electromagnets and penning traps. according to
    http://www.physik.uni-mainz.de/Werth/g_fak/penning.htm
    you need a constant magnetic field of 3.765T or more. problem is conventional iron core electromagnets are only capable of 1.6T. there are superconductor magnets but i dont have the monies for those. :/

there are other materials i could use for the iron core design for instance i could use Mu-metal (melting point?) for a core material and a tantalum alloy for wire due to its high melting point. therefore making it possible to throw more amperes at it.

any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted