Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Penrose book #14 on Amazon in Britain

1. Aug 5, 2004 #1

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Penrose book #3 on Amazon in Britain

[edit: as of 5PM GMT-8, Friday 6August, Penrose book had risen to THIRD on amazon.uk.co best seller list

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...stsellers/ref=cs_nav_sn_4/202-5121337-2949434

It is topped only a diet book and the DaVinci Code]

[edit edit: However by Thursday 12 August, it was down to ***TWENTYSIX*** place on the list. It is still on amazon top hundred, in other words, but it only spent a few days near the top of the list]

A couple of days ago Peter Woit's blog said
    "Road to Reality" was #17 on the best-seller list at
    UK Amazon, so i decided to check today and
    it was #14
    and for comparison #10 was Michael Moore
    "Dude, Give Me Back My Country!"
    so it seemed like an honorable achievement of
    Penrose to come within a few points of Michael Moore
    and he was actually one better than
    "Tears of the Giraffe" by a popular detective novelist.

Especially surprising because Penrose book is said to
    actually have some mathematical substance---it is
    not just metaphors and impressionistic fluff but it
    actually tries to teach you the real-stuff, with the formulas.
    You can use it when you dont have a textbook handy
    for some things, we are told. so I am in a happy state of shock.
    The book market at least in Britain is different from what I
    thought.

Remember what Stephen Hawking said his editor advised him:
    "each formula you include, you lose half your potential buyers"
    so, we were taught to believe, including equations is how not to sell books.

funny thing about the price.
    I was told the price was going to be $85 in the USA, but was
    30 pounds in Britain. Now I see that Amazon is selling it for 21 pounds!
    Isnt that less than $40? So why doesnt everyone in USA who wants the
    book simply order it from Amazon UK? Even with postage and delay you probably get it cheaper and sooner.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2004 #2

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

as of Friday it is #11 best seller

I just checked again at amazon.uk.co
    and "Road to Reality" had moved up to #11 place

meanwhile Michael Moore "Dude" had moved up to #8

Sir Roger is closing on Michael Moore

Tears of the Giraffe, and The Kalahari Typing School for Men,
    are left far behind, as is the book by Lance Armstrong
    One sees the great importance that Quantum Gravity has for the general public.

4. Aug 6, 2004 #3
    We have to know what the consiousness on the planet is doing in its entirety, as it is costing humanity tremendous dollars. :smile:

5. Aug 6, 2004 #4

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

the descent into barbarism, short-sighted selfishness, bigoted tribalism, and biochemical weaponry, is an instinctive way humans have of limiting their population, Sol.
    It is only dimly conscious------liberalism is fundamentally overgenerous and results in too many healthy babies----humanity instinctively realizes that this will not do and hurries to finish burning up the fuel, disabling the life-support, and paralyzing any remaining spirit of cooperation.

humans get this way when there are too many in one place,
    it is expensive, as you suggest, "costing humanity tremendous dollars:smile:"

Well, you were wondering what is consciousness on the planet up to----what it is "doing in its entirety"---- that is the most honest answer I can offer at the moment. I personally prefer people's individual consciousnesses to their global collective mind which can be pretty gosh-awful.

did you ever read "The Number One Ladies Detective Agency" it is by the same author as "The Tears of the Giraffe" It is a series of mere detective novels about people in some southern africa place

Last edited: Aug 6, 2004
  6. Aug 6, 2004 #5
    Rather like storms and the weather I think:) Sometimes looking at the weather patterns of the world might give you a good indication? :smile: Even in our own personal lives :smile: It's just another way of seeing.

Yes simple detective stories are always nice at the end of the day

7. Aug 6, 2004 #6

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Yes they do, don't they.

Good lord! I just looked at amazon.uk.co and
    PENROSE IS UP TO FIVE!!!!!!

He has pulled ahead of Michael Moore who is still hanging in there at #7
    and it looks like Sir Roger may even be challenging the more popular
    DIET BOOKS!!!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...stsellers/ref=cs_nav_sn_4/202-5121337-2949434

8. Aug 6, 2004 #7

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Holy Jesus, I just looked again and Penrose was #4 on the bestsellers

It is 8:28 AM on Friday

there is nothing between Sir Roger and the top but
    two diet books and the Da Vinci Code

hey sol, Penrose book talks about Quantum Gravity (loop in particular, maybe other approaches too) which is something we've been studying a bit.
    I cant believe it is popular mind-fare, or almost

9. Aug 6, 2004 #8
    Mavbe the fact that his lectures are thought provoking :smile:

Here is the link for his lectures:http://www.princeton.edu/WebMedia/lectures/

I recommend viewing them in order ie - 1 , 2 then 3.

I hope to be able to afford the book by next week!..in the meantime I have re-viewed all available video's I have, the really interesting one is where he is introduced to Stephen Hawking (Story of Stephen Hawking). It seems he has been instrumental In Hawking's early academic Career, directing him towards Information Paradox >>Blackhole Radiation.

10. Aug 6, 2004 #9
    they also have complied a book from their lectures together (you can find it in amazon), but i dont think it's a layman book.

anyway, marcus, can this perhaps be an indication of growth in the population of britain maths/physics nerds?! :surprise: :biggrin:

11. Aug 6, 2004 #10

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

A nation of nerds? then the rest of the world had better watch out! :biggrin:

12. Aug 6, 2004 #11

logically that would mean the rest of the world are nerds too? :confused: :smile:

13. Aug 6, 2004 #12

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Not logically, no. All E(ngland) is N(erds) does not imply all not-E is N.

14. Aug 6, 2004 #13
    Only nerds in England then? :rofl:

????????? :confused: :smile: I need the exercise

Last edited: Aug 6, 2004
  15. Aug 6, 2004 #14

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Road to Reality is in amazon 3rd place

As of 5PM GMT-8, Friday 6August, Penrose book had risen to THIRD on amazon.uk.co best seller list

It is topped only a diet book and the DaVinci Code.

this is a different science book market. popular general-audience books are usually dumbed down for readers like George Bush. One of the most disgusting and discouraging things I ever heard in my life was what Hawking said in his preface that his editor told him about each equation looses half the buyers. Equations are what it's all about. Kepler sweated blood to get the first real european equation. Equations reveal the music.
    Roger Penrose book does not obey the abominable law of the booktrade that you must exclude equations, but by some fluke it is selling nevermindthat.

--------------
    Sol what is this about logic, I did not mean anything complex!
    Nerds rule
    Nerds rule
    Nerds rule
    If England became a land of nerds (which wouldnt happen but only momentarily seems like that) then it would take the lead in many ways and so the other countries should look out. Just a joke. No logic to it.
    Let us forget about that.
    ---------------

16. Aug 6, 2004 #15
    okay :smile:

17. Aug 7, 2004 #16
    i dont know about you, but the book of michio kaku (in the hebrew version at least from my experience of reading it) "hyperspace" which is a pop/sci book has equations (for example, maxwell's electromagnetic theory equations), so i think hawking didnt bring any equations is more a thought of him (im sure the publishers of hyperspace and penrose's new book are the same as hawking's publishers, i.e want money and the more the happier they get).

18. Aug 7, 2004 #17

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The question is, do you show equations, such as Einstein's field equations or Maxwell's, or do you do something with them. Back in the 1950's Einstein's four equations of his unified field theory became a totem of "high science" and were reproduced everywhere by people who had not the slightest idea of their content.

19. Aug 7, 2004 #18
    You made me think of something else from reading your post. What was cultural and trending in the colleges's. I do not have the fortunate experience of so many here, so the idea was sparked in contrast to your example.

http://www.musenet.org/utnebury/Maxwell.jpg

http://www.kurzweilai.net/meme/frame.html?main=/articles/art0585.html

20. Aug 15, 2004 #19

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Good point. I gather that Penrose really does something with the equations----judging from reviewer comment. But the copy I ordered has not arrived so I cannot attest to it.

"The Road to Reality" is now 24th on Amazon.co list
    earlier this week I noticed it went down to 26th but now it
    has bobbed up slightly to 24 as of Sunday 5PM west coast time.

No block buster obviously, but doing creditably for a real science book
    (for such, I hope, it is).

21. Sep 4, 2004 #20
    Hi all
    Went to the uni bookshop to check out if Roger's latest book was already in.. it's there! The sight of it took me by surprise (that's the biggest book I've seen so far in the category of "popular" exposes of science). Skimmed through the contents.. lots and lots of chapters and sections... it's about AUD$ 89.. price isn't apparently too bad. The book, and I quote Sir Roger himself, took "about 8 years" to write (means he started working on it around the time "Shadows of the mind" was first published).. Amazing that such a "busy" mathematical physicist has time to spare for writing such theses. I need to spare some money.. I need to read this book!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?