Can you solve Penrose's chess problem and win a bonus prize?

In summary, a chess problem has been created to challenge a computer, but also be solvable for humans. The goal is to either force a draw or win as white. The Penrose Institute is looking for solutions and will scan the brains of those who solve it. The problem may seem hopeless for white, but it is possible to draw or even win. Chess computers struggle with this type of problem due to the massive number of possible positions to consider. Humans are advised to find peace and quiet when attempting to solve it and may even experience a flash of insight. The first person to legally demonstrate the solution will receive a bonus prize. Both humans and computers are invited to participate.
Buzz Bloom said:
Hi SSequence:

Since you identify yourself as a mathematician, I am curious about your position regarding the following.
Abstractions are not real. In particular:
1. Numbers are not real.
2. Equations are not real.
3. Variables in equations are not real.
4. Mathematical models are not real.
5. Mathematics is not real.
6. Physics is not real.
7. Chemistry is not real.
8. Biology is not real.
9. Psychology is not real.
10. The mind is not real.
11. Consciousness is not real.
12. Knowledge is not real.

Regards,
Buzz

Hello Buzz:

Thought I'd chime in with an answer you may not hear everyday.

Abstractions are mental contents which we form on the basis of perception of reality, and the referent of those abstractions are those things in reality which caused that perception (through our senses). Abstractions are objective, and in a sense they really are in our minds and really also are about real things.

The abstractions though very real and referring to that which is real are not somehow really "out there".

Cheers
OR

Likes Buzz Bloom
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have a question for the mods, just out of curiosity: If I wanted to start a thread on a primarily philosophical topic, where would be the best place to post it? For example, would the 'General Discussion' section of PF Lounge be an acceptable location?

MrRobotoToo said:
I have a question for the mods, just out of curiosity: If I wanted to start a thread on a primarily philosophical topic, where would be the best place to post it? For example, would the 'General Discussion' section of PF Lounge be an acceptable location?
Hi Mr Roboto Too, we no longer host philosophical discussions at Physics Forums. You could try another forum that allows them.

Thread closed for Moderation...

The topic has been thoroughly discussed and since drifted severely into philosophy. This thread will remain closed. Thanks for the initial great discussion!