Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Penrose process and area theorem

1. Nov 9, 2016 #1
    Hawking area theorem says that area of black hole generally never decrease. Penrose process says that energy can be extracted from black hole. Energy extraction will decrease mass? if yes then if mass is decreased then will area also decrease?
    I am confusing things here :(

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2016 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Yes. (Note that this theorem excludes any quantum effects.)

Yes, but this only happens with a rotating black hole, and the hole also loses angular momentum in this process.

No, because for a rotating hole the area does not just depend on the mass. It depends on, heuristically, ##\sqrt{M^2 - a^2}##, where ##a## is the hole's angular momentum per unit mass. In the Penrose process, ##M## decreases, but ##a## also decreases, in such a way that the horizon area ends up larger.

4. Nov 9, 2016 #3
    This has confused me more.. if both mass and angular momentum are decreasing then area must also decrease. How it end up increasing?

5. Nov 9, 2016 #4

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

No. Look at the minus sign in front of ##a^2## in the heuristic formula I gave. If angular momentum decreases, the area increases.

6. Nov 9, 2016 #5
    Consider ##A=8\pi M(M+\sqrt{M^2-a^2})## which is area of rotating black hole. So if both mass M and angular momentum a are decreasing then area will increase? when i am decreasing these two terms, area is also decreasing.

7. Nov 9, 2016 #6

martinbn

Science Advisor

If ##a## is decreased enough the area will increase. For example start with ##M## and ##a## equal, then the area is ##A=8\pi M^2##. Now decrease ##M## to ##\frac34 M## and ##a## to zero, then the area will be ##A=9\pi M^2##.

8. Nov 9, 2016 #7
    O yes now i get it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted