Snog, Marry, Avoid: Male Makeover in UK Reality Show

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strange
In summary: UK?Would you snog him?I didn't think people like this existed. He reminds me of Cyrus.People are strange
Evo said:
Explain how you come to that conclusion from what I said. I'm serious, POST your explanation before you post again. My point is that the term was quite common in the late 60's and early seventies and I'm sure you have no idea that the term has a different meaning to someone that lived through that era.

Because your anecdote was a lame attempt to basically say "hey, I'm cool and down with it and used to be edgy and therefore my opinions and prejudices should have special weight". Back in the 60's we had the real freaks. This isn't the first time you've tried to pull the "well when I was a kid..." card as if that has any relevance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pythagorean said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awi14wDTxNw

sorry, couldn't resist...

...someone already posted that but ok... still a good song.

Answering your deleted question, are you Elton John's Incarnate?

I see a lot of dancing around the issue here on your part. Do you, or would you, go around town dressed like that kid in the video, honestly?

maverick_starstrider said:
I have no idea why that was deleted... .
You have not answered my question, you must answer before posting.

...someone already posted that but ok... still a good song.

doh!

Evo said:
Explain how you come to that conclusion from what I said. I'm serious, POST your explanation before you post again. My point is that the term was quite common in the late 60's and early seventies and I'm sure you have no idea that the term has a different meaning to someone that lived through that era.

let's be clear. You are attempting to justify your correctness in disqualifying another human being by providing an entirely incorrect etymology of the word freak.

Evo said:
You have not answered my question, you must answer before posting.

I did. Twice.

Because your anecdote was a lame attempt to basically say "hey, I'm cool and down with it and used to be edgy and therefore my opinions and prejudices should have special weight". Back in the 60's we had the real freaks. This isn't the first time you've tried to pull the "well when I was a kid..." card as if that has any relevance.
No, I was explaining why "freak" might mean something different to Ivan, and why you shouldn't make accusations that could be construed as personal attacks. And why you shouldn't over react. And why the term might be enjoyed by someone that choses to dress shockingly.

Evo said:
No, I was explaining why freak "freak" might mean something different to Ivan. And why you shouldn't over react. And why the term might be enjoyed by someone that choses to dress schockingly.

You are all well aware that freak has lost its co-opted meaning from the freak scene and you were entirely using it in the "freak of nature" sense and not in the Ian Gillan sense. You are using it as a pejorative to devalue the worth of another individual based on odd appearance or habit.

You are all well aware that freak has lost its co-opted meaning from the freak scene and you were entirely using it in the "freak of nature" sense and not in the Ian Gillan sense. You are using it as a pejorative to devalue the worth of another individual based on odd appearance or habit.
Before you declare what someone means, I suggest you ask them. Ask Ivan what he meant.

I proposed the definition that it described someone that chooses to be considered "outside of what is the social norm", so you're dead wrong. I was very clear, so I am amazed that you would make such a claim.

I might be completely off base here but how much of this ire is coming from a place of cognitive dissonance. At some point you decided to abandon 60's subculture and captain the S.S. Yuppie, play oyster to the walrus (coo coo ca choo) and now you've convinced yourself that it was "wisdom" that motivated the choice and you are now more "wise" instead of the social and personal pressures the motivated the choice originally.

I can just imagine him trying to get a real job dressed like that. :rofl:

Evo said:
Before you declare what someone means, I suggest you ask them. Ask Ivan what he meant.

I proposed the definition that it described someone that chooses to be considered "outside of what is the social norm", so you're dead wrong. I was very clear, so I am amazed that you would make such a claim.

Well I took Ivan's post to be ironic. He was simultaneously calling the kid a freak and pointing out how he'd been subject to identical treatment.

The intent is to garner attention. Sometimes the intent is to garner derisive attention. Someone should point the boy to this forum so he might luxuriate in it.

You're the one who is consistently insinuating that he is mis-guided (due entirely to bashful youth) and that it is amusing rather then tragic that society will treat him very badly.

You're the one who is consistently insinuating that he is mis-guided (due entirely to bashful youth) and that it is amusing rather then tragic that society will treat him very badly.

Why is it tragic when he make the decision himself? Woe is me. Me made a choice knowing the consequences of his choice. Boo-hoo-hoo.

Cyrus said:
Why is it tragic when he make the decision himself? Woe is me. Me made a choice knowing the consequences of his choice. Boo-hoo-hoo.

So it's ok if jocks pick on nerds. The nerds deserved it with all their thinking and stuff. That's justified because if they didn't want to be picked on they should have fallen in line.

So it's ok if jocks pick on nerds. The nerds deserved it with all their thinking and stuff. That's justified because if they didn't want to be picked on they should have fallen in line.

No one's talking about jocks, nerds, or picking on someone. You should pay attention to what I said, not what I didn't say. I said he looks like a fool.

Cyrus said:
I said he looks like a fool.

Do you think he want's your to say he looks like a fool--you old foggie? :smile:

Phrak said:
Do you think he want's your to say he looks like a fool--you old foggie? :smile:

I think, for whatever reason, he want's attention he's not getting by being normal. Theres absolutely a reason why he decides to dress like that.

All you have to do is thumb through a GQ magazine to realize that you dress well while having your own style and still have people give you attention (and positive attention), without looking like a clown and subjecting yourself to ridicule.

The kid is stupid in many, many respects. Socially, he's retarded.

Cyrus said:
No one's talking about jocks, nerds, or picking on someone. You should pay attention to what I said, not what I didn't say. I said he looks like a fool.

You wouldn't consider calling someone a fool, picking on them? I got to get my *** over to britain.

You wouldn't consider calling someone a fool, picking on them? I got to get my *** over to britain.

When did I say I would walk up to him and say "Hey, you. You're a stupid fool - you fool". Stop reading into what I'm not saying.

Cyrus said:
I think, for whatever reason, he want's attention he's not getting by being normal. Theres absolutely a reason why he decides to dress like that.

All you have to do is thumb through a GQ magazine to realize that you dress well while having your own style and still have people give you attention (and positive attention), without looking like a clown.

Actually I think the people in GQ look like douches. Considering we could have arbitrarily picked any fashion to be the "societal norm" for men, who was responsible for picking one that looked so iffeminate. This isn't being hypocritical, if you feel like the guy who dresses like a metrosexual then have at it. But in terms of picking a style that people will blindly follow regardless what it looks like... We could have injected some testoserone.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="[URL]http://www.youtube.com/v/4pAE5G5OBzw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4pAE5G5OBzw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
All of your "you old people picking on young people" commentary leads me to ask you, maverick starstrider, how old are you?

You see? You see what happens when you don't dress normally? You cause arguments on PF. I hope you're happy, male ganguro.

GeorginaS said:
All of your "you old people picking on young people" commentary leads me to ask you, maverick starstrider, how old are you?

I don't want to say because then people will try and say inane things like "well wait till you're age X and then you'll understand". But I'm in graduate school.

Actually I think the people in GQ look like douches.

There you goooooooooooo. See, it's ok to have an opinion. It means you have a brain and can make judgments.

Cyrus said:
There you goooooooooooo. See, it's ok to have an opinion.

I never said it wasn't. I also never said that when people try and dress a certain way that they aren't trying to make a statement. My contention is that it is a negative thing to consciously try and separate oneself (even if done in a very average, over done way) from others. To me that is far more virtuous then trying to beat people back into line with derision.

You very clearly couldn't deal with the fact that I had a negative opinion of him.

Do you hate this guy because he's different or because he didn't want to be like you?

I said "I'm sure he's probably a nice guy". You're selectively reading what I say. I don't hate him, I don't even know him. I don't know how you can claim such things?

Did I say he should be like me?

I think you should reread what I said about the GQ thing, and having your own style.

Dressing like a transsexual doesn't fall into the style category.

Cyrus said:
You very clearly couldn't deal with the fact that I had a negative opinion of him.

If by "couldn't deal with" you mean I didn't stand by while you lambast him for distinguishing himself then yes. http://isurvived.org/home.html#Prologue

If by "couldn't deal with" you mean I didn't stand by while you lambast him for distinguishing himself then yes. http://isurvived.org/home.html#Prologue

Wow man, that's a low argument. Really, really low. The line was about a mile back when you crossed it.

Maverick, I'll tell you right now that no one on here has reacted in any way other than what is expected by any mature member of a subcultural community that includes persons who dress in a comperable fashion to the guy in the OP. In fact most people in the Goth, Punk, Industrial, or what ever scene would consider your level of seriousness on this matter silly and poser-ish even among their peers. Most Goths, Punks, and Rivets would also make fun of the guy in the OP even if they dressed in a similarly garish fashion themselves.

Really, you are not very well representing the community of "freaks" that you are protesting on behalf of.