Snog, Marry, Avoid: Male Makeover in UK Reality Show

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strange
In summary: UK?Would you snog him?I didn't think people like this existed. He reminds me of Cyrus.People are strange
Cyrus said:
Wow man, that's a low argument. Really, really low.

Well the fact that it is about the holocaust is unintentional. If I knew of a similar poem to quote that wasn't bringing the H-bomb (holocaust/hitler) I would have posted it instead. I was just going for the overall sentiment of the poem not the historical gravitas. I'm not calling you a nazi.

Physics news on Phys.org
maverick_starstrider said:
Well the fact that it is about the holocaust is unintentional. If I knew of a similar poem to quote that wasn't bringing the H-bomb (holocaust/hitler) I would have posted it instead. I was just going for the overall sentiment of the poem not the historical gravitas. I'm not calling you a nazi.

What the F-bomb does that have to do with our discussion? You are way, way out of line. I suggest you find a better site with the poem instead of posting that offensive link the way you did.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Maverick, I'll tell you right now that no one on here has reacted in any way other than what is expected by any mature member of a subcultural community that includes persons who dress in a comperable fashion to the guy in the OP. In fact most people in the Goth, Punk, Industrial, or what ever scene would consider your level of seriousness on this matter silly and poser-ish even among their peers. Most Goths, Punks, and Rivets would also make fun of the guy in the OP even if they dressed in a similarly garish fashion themselves.

Really, you are not very well representing the community of "freaks" that you are protesting on behalf of.

Dude, did you not see me post Social D. If I was part of a particular subculture which one do you THINK i'd be part of?

Cyrus said:
I said he looks stupid. I base this on my stylistic taste. Again, he's free to look stupid in public every day if he wants to. That's his choice. That doesn't mean I won't think he looks stupid though.
This is a much more reasonable stance. You should stick to this.

Cyrus said:
I can just imagine him trying to get a real job dressed like that. :rofl:
You are imposing your preconceptions upon someone. Why would you impose such a silly, artificial situation on this video? Is there something about him that makes you think he's on his way to a job interview? If I took a pictiure of you, in your bed, in your pajamas, could I then judge what a moron you are because you're not dressed for an interview? Would my opinion be worth the phosphorus and electrons it uses?

Cyrus said:
The kid is stupid in many, many respects. Socially, he's retarded.
Admit that you know absolutely nothing about his stupidity or his social aptitude.

Cyrus said:
I think, for whatever reason, he want's attention he's not getting by being normal.
This is a atelling comment. Why, on a planet of 6 billion people, is "normal" a desirable trait?

Cyrus said:
I think, for whatever reason, he want's attention he's not getting by being normal.
Yes well, some people seek attention by tailoring their clothing for maximum shock value, other people seek attention by tailoring their opinions for maximum shock value. :rolleyes:

Cyrus said:
What the F-bomb does that have to do with our discussion? You are way, way out of line.

It has to do with your attempts to characterize my strong opposition to your prejudice as some form of mental instability or coming from a place of self interest (the quips about "do I dress that way"). It has to do with the fact that you think I'm being irrational by not standing by while you ridicule this guy for silly reasons.

DaveC426913 said:
You are imposing your preconceptions upon someone. Why would you impose such a silly, artificial situation on this video? Is there something about him that makes you think he's on his way to a job interview? If I took a pictiure of you, in your bed, in your pajamas, could I then judge what a moron you are because you're not dressed for an interview? Would my opinion be worth the phosphorus and electrons it uses?

What a weak argument, Dave. He isn't in his pajamas and no one 'got-cha'ed him when taking the video. Pah-lease. You need to look up the word preconceptions too, as I made no value judgments about him as a person. I said "He's probably a nice guy". Did you not read that? Feel free to go back and read that over again. and again, and again, so it's stuck in your mind. Then I won't have to waste my time responding to replies on what I didn't say. (This is getting annoying)

Admit that you know absolutely nothing about his stupidity or his social aptitude.

Obviously, I do if he dresses like that. He is socially awkward because that's not socially acceptable. This is rather obvious.

Yes well, some people seek attention by tailoring their clothing for maximum shock value, other people seek attention by tailoring their opinions for maximum shock value. :rolleyes:

And some tailor their posts for maximum shock and awe. weeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuu KABOOM.

When are you taking me out for fancy food dressed like a transsexual Dave? Since you're ok with it, then you should be expected to dress like that because it's fine. Otherwise, you're being hypocritical.

Last edited:
Wow. I bet Evo was no expecting this when she posted that link.

I wouldn't trust him (as a stranger) if he dressed like that. It is easier to trust people(strangers) who dress/behave conservatively.

Dude, did you not see me post Social D. If I was part of a particular subculture which one do you THINK i'd be part of?

Hell if I know. If you looked at my music collection you'd find Rasputina, Devil Doll, Cherry Poppin Daddys, Combichrist, Type-0-Negative, Descendents, Ray Charles, Digital Underground, Mr.BT... can you figure out what subculture I belong/belonged to?

rootX said:
I wouldn't trust him (as a stranger) if he dressed like that.

Trust him with what? To mow your lawn? To be your employee? To vote? In your mind what has he agreed to disqualify himself from if he choses to dress this way?

TheStatutoryApe said:
Hell if I know. If you looked at my music collection you'd find Rasputina, Devil Doll, Cherry Poppin Daddys, Combichrist, Type-0-Negative, Descendents, Ray Charles, Digital Underground, Mr.BT... can you figure out what subculture I belong/belonged to?

Wow, you're like the first person I've met who know rasputina. But Type-o-negative and descendants definately is suggestive of counter culture leanings. But who knows, maybe you just like the sound.

Cyrus said:
What a weak argument, Dave. He isn't in his pajamas and no one 'got-cha'ed him when taking the video. Pah-lease.
Are you deliberately being obtuse?

You are judging him in a context of your choosing.
Like I could put you, in your pajams, in a context of my choosing. Yes, you would look like and idiot in your pajamas - if you were going to an interview.

Cyrus said:
Obviously, I do if he dresses like that. He is socially awkward because that's not socially acceptable. This is rather obvious.
You know perfectly well this argument is completely fallacious. You are just being contrariwise.

Cyrus said:
And some tailor their posts for maximum shock and awe. weeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuu KABOOM.

When are you taking me out for fancy food dressed like a transsexual Dave? Since you're ok with it, then you should be expected to dress like that because it's fine. Otherwise, you're being hypocritical.
More of the same 'tude.

I can't believe it. Dude. You are exhibiting classic trolling behaviour.

DaveC426913 said:
You know perfectly well this argument is completely fallacious. You are just being contrariwise.

No, I'm dead serious in saying that. Point out the fallacy then. If you think its socially acceptable to walk around like a transsexual you're clueless. Spare me the "im being obtuse". You're arguing just for the sake of arguing. A person who is sociable doesn't go around dressing counter to the social norms.

I can't believe it. Dude. You are exhibiting classic trolling behaviour.

I'd like to know why you wouldn't wear what he's wearing in public. Please tell me. I'd really like to hear what you have to say. Don't dance around my question. Why would you, DaveC, not go around town dressed like a transsexual?

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
No, I'm dead serious in saying that. Point out the fallacy then.

I'm dead serious. I'd like to know why you wouldn't wear what he's wearing in public. Please tell me. I'd really like to hear what you have to say. Don't dance around my question.

Because maybe it's not his style. I don't wear a standard suit and tie (I went to a uniform high school, I never want to see those things again). Does that invalidate the style altogether? Now let me ask you. How are you not really just saying "why does this guy have to be such a f*gg*t?"

Cyrus said:
No, I'm dead serious in saying that. Point out the fallacy then. If you think its socially acceptable to walk around like a transsexual you're clueless. Spare me the "im being obtuse". You're arguing just for the sake of arguing.
What is socailly unacceptable about walknig around like a transsexual? I live in Toronto. We draw a million people here each year for a celebration because it is socially acceptable.

Cyrus said:
I'm dead serious. I'd like to know why you wouldn't wear what he's wearing in public. Please tell me. I'd really like to hear what you have to say. Don't dance around my question.

DaveC426913 said:
What is socailly unacceptable about walknig around like a transsexual? I live in Toronto. We draw a million people here each year for a celebration because it is socially acceptable.

I suggest you expand your world-view, and answer my question.

Because maybe it's not his style. I don't wear a standard suit and tie (I went to a uniform high school, I never want to see those things again). Does that invalidate the style altogether? Now let me ask you. How are you not really just saying "why does this guy have to be such a f*gg*t?"

Excuse me? Pause and think next time you say something to me, because that's the second offensive garbage you have written so far in this thread. I have friends who are homosexual and I don't care. Take your foot out of your mouth.

DaveC426913 said:

Yay T.O. yes, I too, thought about the pride parade when I saw this post.

Closing thread for now. Have a good evening, folks.

<h2>1. What is "Snog, Marry, Avoid: Male Makeover in UK Reality Show"?</h2><p>"Snog, Marry, Avoid: Male Makeover in UK Reality Show" is a popular British reality television show that aired from 2008 to 2014. It focused on transforming the appearance and style of individuals who were deemed to have an extreme and unattractive look, with the ultimate goal of making them more desirable and socially acceptable.</p><h2>2. How does the show select its participants?</h2><p>The show's producers actively sought out individuals with extreme and unconventional looks through social media, clubs, and other public places. They also accepted applications from people who wanted to be on the show. The main criteria for selection were a unique and over-the-top appearance and a willingness to undergo a transformation.</p><h2>3. Who are the hosts of the show?</h2><p>The show had several hosts throughout its run, including Jenny Frost, Ellie Taylor, and POD (Personal Overhaul Device), a fictional computer program that would analyze the participants' looks and provide them with advice on how to improve their style and image.</p><h2>4. What is the purpose of the "Snog, Marry, Avoid" game in the show?</h2><p>The "Snog, Marry, Avoid" game was used as a way to determine the participants' physical attractiveness and social desirability. It involved members of the public being shown a picture of the participant and then asked if they would snog (kiss), marry, or avoid them based on their current appearance. This game was used to highlight the need for a makeover and to motivate the participants to change their style.</p><h2>5. Did the show have any controversy surrounding it?</h2><p>Yes, the show received criticism for promoting shallow and superficial values and for perpetuating societal beauty standards. Some also argued that the show's makeovers were not always done with the participants' best interests in mind and could be damaging to their self-esteem. However, the show's producers defended it by stating that it was meant to be a lighthearted and entertaining show that aimed to help people improve their confidence and self-image.</p>

1. What is "Snog, Marry, Avoid: Male Makeover in UK Reality Show"?

"Snog, Marry, Avoid: Male Makeover in UK Reality Show" is a popular British reality television show that aired from 2008 to 2014. It focused on transforming the appearance and style of individuals who were deemed to have an extreme and unattractive look, with the ultimate goal of making them more desirable and socially acceptable.

2. How does the show select its participants?

The show's producers actively sought out individuals with extreme and unconventional looks through social media, clubs, and other public places. They also accepted applications from people who wanted to be on the show. The main criteria for selection were a unique and over-the-top appearance and a willingness to undergo a transformation.

3. Who are the hosts of the show?

The show had several hosts throughout its run, including Jenny Frost, Ellie Taylor, and POD (Personal Overhaul Device), a fictional computer program that would analyze the participants' looks and provide them with advice on how to improve their style and image.

4. What is the purpose of the "Snog, Marry, Avoid" game in the show?

The "Snog, Marry, Avoid" game was used as a way to determine the participants' physical attractiveness and social desirability. It involved members of the public being shown a picture of the participant and then asked if they would snog (kiss), marry, or avoid them based on their current appearance. This game was used to highlight the need for a makeover and to motivate the participants to change their style.

5. Did the show have any controversy surrounding it?

Yes, the show received criticism for promoting shallow and superficial values and for perpetuating societal beauty standards. Some also argued that the show's makeovers were not always done with the participants' best interests in mind and could be damaging to their self-esteem. However, the show's producers defended it by stating that it was meant to be a lighthearted and entertaining show that aimed to help people improve their confidence and self-image.