People seated in a circle

• Thread starter jackbauer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary: This can be calculated by taking the total number of possible seating arrangements (n+m-1)! and subtracting the cases where all women are seated together ((n-1)!*(m-1)!) and dividing by the total number of seating arrangements. This gives us the probability of a woman having a man on either side of her. Therefore, in summary, the probability of a man having a woman to his right is m/(n+m-1) and the probability of a woman having a man on either side of her is (n+m-2)!/((n-1)!*(m-1)!) divided by (n+m-1)! .
jackbauer
Hi people, was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem.
n men and m women are seated at a round table with exactly n+m places. What is the probability any given man has a woman immediately to his right. Also, what is the probability that a woman has a man to either side of her? I figured from combinatorics that the number of ways of seating these people in total is (n+m-1)! but I'm not sure how to proceed from here, anyone offer some assistance,
thanks,
Jack

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as the first question goes, if I understand it correctly, then it is pretty simple. There are n men and m women. So we want to know the probability that a woman is to the right of some given man. Well, there are m women and (n-1) men and each has an equal probability of being seated next to the man. So the probability is just the ratio of women to men. Am I understanding this problem correctly?

For the second part, the probability that a woman has a man to either side of her is the probability that a man is to her right plus the probability that a man is to her left, and then, since the chances of a man being on both sides has been counted twice, minus the probability that men are on both sides.

What is the purpose of having people seated in a circle?

The purpose of seating people in a circle is often to facilitate open communication and discussion among a group. This seating arrangement allows for equal participation and encourages everyone to have a voice.

How does seating people in a circle impact group dynamics?

Seating people in a circle can promote a sense of equality and inclusivity within a group. It can also encourage active listening and collaboration, as everyone is facing each other and can see and hear each other clearly.

Are there any cultural or historical significance to seating people in a circle?

Many cultures and traditions have a history of seating people in circles for various reasons. In Native American cultures, circles symbolize unity and balance, while in African cultures, circles represent wholeness and community.

What are some alternatives to seating people in a circle?

Some alternatives to seating people in a circle include traditional classroom-style seating, small group tables, or a panel-style arrangement. Each seating option can have different effects on group dynamics and communication.

How can seating arrangements impact productivity and creativity in a group setting?

Research has shown that seating people in a circle can increase engagement and creativity within a group, leading to more productive and efficient discussions. However, the effectiveness of a seating arrangement may also depend on the specific dynamics and goals of the group.