Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

People that have apt names

1. Oct 30, 2012 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

You probably know someone who has a name that's especially pertinent to his/her profession. For example, Charlotte NC has a TV weatherman named Larry Sprinkle. Here's one that I found just now when visiting my investment company's web site.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2012 #2

Evo

Lol.

4. Oct 30, 2012 #3
    Usain Bolt

5. Oct 30, 2012 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

A couple of names from Norway:

For many years, the executive director at the light bulb factory OSRAM was Mr. Lampe (and yes, "Lampe" is "Lamp"..

We also had in Oslo, a dentist with the name Røskeland (the verb "røske" means to "pull forcefully"...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  6. Oct 30, 2012 #5

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For a short amount of time I lived in Fayetteville, NC, and somewhere along the road to the airport at Raleigh was a sign on the side of a building that read

"Robert A. Buzzard, Attorney at Law"

I don't know if it was a joke or not.

7. Oct 30, 2012 #6

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Apparently it wasn't a joke!

http://www.bainlawyers.com/attorney-profiles/robert-a-buzzard [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  8. Oct 30, 2012 #7

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales is Mr Judge. (Well, actually he's now Lord Judge, but he was born plain Mr.)

There is a plant breeder and nurseryman in the UK called Alan Bloom. And his wife is Flora Bloom. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Bloom

9. Oct 31, 2012 #8
    In the town where I grew up there was a dentist named Dr. Comfort.

10. Oct 31, 2012 #9

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Names can be apt or "anti-apt". The latter occurs when the name, taken literally, embodies a concept that runs counter to the personality.

I always thought the most awesome example of an anti-apt name was "Cardinal Sin". The late Filipino Archbishop, that is.

Then there are people like Scott Speed, the American racing driver. I guess he raced in F1, making his name sorta apt. But he wasn't quite fast enough to last.

I have a friend and former med school classmate who's named Doctor, and who's a doctor. So she's Doctor Doctor, sort of like Major Major (Major Major) in Catch 22. But there's a story behind her curious name - her grandfather (or great grandfather, I forget which) saved a lot of people in his native village by instituting clever public health measures against cholera. So his family got the honorary appellation "Doctor", and the name stuck through the generations. I guess the prod of tradition was strong enough for her to pursue a medical career as well. Hence, not really accidental in this case.

11. Oct 31, 2012 #10

Borek

What about Endurance Abinuwa and Endurance Ojokolo?

12. Oct 31, 2012 #11
    Don't forget Albert Einstein who actually turned out to be a genius.

13. Oct 31, 2012 #12
    Dick Cheney, Dick Army, Dick Nixon

14. Oct 31, 2012 #13

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:biggrin:

My dentist's first name is Dennis.

15. Oct 31, 2012 #14

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Postman Pat and Dennis the Dentist. Yup, sounds right..

16. Oct 31, 2012 #15

jtbell

Here's a fictional character: on the old Mary Tyler Moore TV show (I think it was on that show, anyway), there was a guy who did TV reports about gardening: Pete Moss the Plant Man.

There used to be a woman in my church named Fern Moss, but I don't think she had a job related to her name.

17. Oct 31, 2012 #16
    There was a weatherman in Los Angeles named Dallas Raines several years ago. Don't know if he's still around.

18. Oct 31, 2012 #17

jim mcnamara

19. Oct 31, 2012 #18

jtbell

I hope he pronounces his name "Boo-ZARD".

20. Oct 31, 2012 #19

Ibix

Science Advisor

The Feedback column in the back of the New Scientist had a long-running thread on this. They christened the phenomenon "Nominative Determinism".

21. Oct 31, 2012 #20

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook