Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

People who can let electricity flows through their bodies

1. Mar 7, 2005 #1
    Well, I've heard about some people who can let electricity flows through their bodies without any serious damage. Is there any sciebtific reason or theory for this? Is that the resistance f them 0 or nearly so?
    What do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The amount of current you can withstand depends on a lot of factors, but generally a current of 0.07 A through your chest (across the heart) can kill you (or at least stop the heart rhythm). A small amount of electricity through your brain can kill you.
    A current through one hand (from your thumb to your pinky for example) is less dangerous. Your hand may burn, but you'll live.

Some people can take more than others. The particular physiology is also important. I don't think many people will survive much more than 0.07 A from one arm to the other though, although it may be possible to physically increase the resistance of your body. There are all kinds of things the human body is capable of which we don't know yet.

4. Mar 7, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Based on current understanding of superconductivity, it is virtually impossible that certain human bodies have superconductive tissue.

5. Mar 7, 2005 #4
    Is that a pun?

6. Mar 7, 2005 #5
    why is that a pun. There is a difference between superconductors and conductors. Conductors still allow the flow of an ellectric current but they do have a resistance, while a superconductor has 0 resistance. The human body is NOT and superconductor.

Regards,

Nenad

7. Mar 7, 2005 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Nenad, Gokul said "Based on CURRENT understanding...."

Get it? Oh, never mind. It never is as funny when it has to be explained. :)

Zz.

8. Mar 8, 2005 #7
    well, if you think about it, there are elements in the human body that can act as superonductors but they would have to be super cooled first. I meant that at room temperature, this would be highly unlikely that there would be any kind of tissue in the human body that is superconductive. Wouldn't you agree Zapper?

Regards,

Nenad

9. Mar 8, 2005 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Elements, by themselves, do not make a superconductor. 12 atoms of Pb attached somewhere cannot form a superconductor. This is because superconductivity is a collective phenomenon. As far as I am aware of, no experimental results has ever been done on human body parts, tissues, etc. to see if they undergo such transition. One needs to keep in mind that it is quite easy to destroy superconductivity as far as the quality of the material is concerned.

Furthermore, I think the original question isn't asking the case when a human being has been cooled down sufficiently that various parts that can become superconducting, has done so (if there are any). So it is not only inaccurate, but totally wrong, to think that just because a human body can pass some amount of current without apparent damage, that we can superconduct.

Zz.

10. Mar 8, 2005 #9
    So does people that are superconducting are extremely dead, sort of, yes?

11. Mar 8, 2005 #10

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You have already made the assumptions that there ARE superconducting parts in a human body. As I have mentioned above, I have seen no such indications.

Zz.

12. Mar 8, 2005 #11
    He, he; Well, that depends on what they died of. If it was lead poisoning then there may be a finite possibility of acquiring a superconducting signal from certain body parts, :tongue2: :rofl: It would give new meaning to the term 'organic' superconductor . :biggrin:

13. Mar 14, 2005 #12
    So why there're ppl who can let the electricity flow thru them while others can't?

14. Mar 14, 2005 #13

cronxeh

Gold Member

Zz, I never thought Physics could be this fun :rofl:

15. Mar 14, 2005 #14

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

.... or this silly! :)

Zz.

16. Mar 14, 2005 #15
    Perhaps what you're thinking of is that the 'internal' resistance (to abuse that phrase) of humans is very low, because of all the conducting ions? I know the skin has very high resistance, but if you stab someone with electrified needles (or voltmeter probes) they conduct very well. My physics professor admits he tried this on himself in grad school, with a DC power supply. :rofl:

(insert disclaimer here)

17. Mar 14, 2005 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But why a DC supply ?? :yuck:

Everyone knows you need to use AC to accurately determine the conductivity of an electrolyte. :rolleyes:

18. Mar 14, 2005 #17

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't know what the "internal resistance" of a human being is. But if I were to make a wild stab at it <smacks himself silly for that pun>, I would guess that it is still NOT as low as the resistivity of Cu or Au at room temperature. This, certainly, can't qualify it being anywhere near a superconductor.

Zz.

19. Mar 14, 2005 #18

Danger

Gold Member

Hi folks;
    May I suggest here that some people have a higher skin conductivity than others, primarily due to their state of hydration, electrolyte balance, etc.. This will allow current to flow around them rather than through them, thus effectively insulating their innnards. The same sort of thing applies to vehicles, which is why staying in your car is a good idea in a lightning storm. (Tires do conduct enough when they're wet.)

20. Mar 14, 2005 #19

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From palm to palm, I'm a few hundreds of k-ohms; way bigger than if I were made of Cu or Au....but perhaps I'm just above my Tc :wink:

21. Mar 15, 2005 #20
    There are no super conductive people, end of story. Superconductivity occurs under very special circumstances. Skin and blood do not have ability to suddenly drop to a zero resistance. The simplest reson is water.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?