Who are the Scientists Behind Liver Research and Development?

• Thread starter natural
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, the tutor assigned a project on the homeostatic functions of the liver and asked for a literature review stating people who have done work and research on the liver. They want you to find articles from PubMed on the liver and homeostasis.
natural

Homework Statement

I need information on people who did research on the liver and aided in its development. Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to assist me.

Physics news on Phys.org
What type of research? You'll find a ton of research involving the liver, so you're going to have to narrow your search in some way.

You'll see what I mean if you go to PubMed and do a search for articles on the liver.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

Its the homeostatic functions of the liver.

I don't mean to be difficult, but again, that's still very broad. Is there a context to why you need to find this information that can help me help you narrow it down? Perhaps even a time frame...do you need historical information about early work on the subject, or current people doing work in the field to contact in person? What grade level/year are you in? This will also help us guide you toward something appropriate for your level.

Are you trying to write a report on the subject? And, was the topic assigned to you, or did you need to find your own topic? If the topic was assigned, then tell us here exactly how the teacher/professor wrote the topic. Otherwise, we'll work with you to get this down to a manageable sized question.

Im at college and I am in first year doing biology as a major. The tutor gave us a project on the homeostatic fuctions of the liver and asked us to put a literature review stating people who have done work and resarch with the liver, historical information. Time frame is from now till tomorrow(monday).

Okay, well, if you need to do a literature review (this seems like a really odd thing for a tutor to ask for Freshman biology, by the way), I can only assume they just want to you get a few articles to show you know how to search for them? Or to get some idea of the type of research going on? Though, you'll have a hard time understanding what's in the papers with only a Freshman biology course to help.

So, anyway, then my best suggestion is to use the link I gave you in my first response for PubMed. This is a search engine just for biomedical research articles. In your search terms, type in liver AND homeostasis. Make sure "and" is in all capital letters. You'll get a long, long, long list of article citations.

If you need historical information, skip to some of the last pages, if you need current information, stay on the early pages (the search results aren't always perfectly in date order, but generally are). Look through the titles and see if something interests you or seems relevant. If you click on the authors' names, which are in blue, this will take you to the abstract of the article (a brief summary of what it contains). You can use that abstract to decide if the article is likely to suit your needs.

Some abstracts will then have a link directly to the publisher's website where you can download the PDF with the full article. If you can't access the article that way (or if it asks you to pay for a subscription), head to your library and ask for help there in accessing the articles. They may have them online and you need to link through your library website, or they may have them in bound journals in the stacks.

The only possibly easier way I can think of for you to do this would be to see if your textbook has a bibliography at the end of the chapter on the liver or homeostasis, and find some of the references that cites. Those may be more directly relevant to what you are learning in class.

That, or call your tutor and tell them you need help narrowing down your over 10,000 choices of articles and see if they have something more specific in mind. This may be an example of the tutor not thinking through their request carefully before making it.

1. What is liver research?

Liver research is the study of the structure, function, and diseases of the liver - the largest internal organ in the human body responsible for filtering toxins, producing bile, and aiding in digestion.

2. Why is liver research important?

Liver research is important because the liver plays a vital role in maintaining overall health and any dysfunction or disease in the liver can have serious consequences for the body. Understanding the liver through research can lead to better prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of liver diseases.

3. Who are some famous people who did liver research?

Dr. Thomas E. Starzl is known as the "father of liver transplantation" for his pioneering work in the field. Dr. Baruch Blumberg discovered the hepatitis B virus and developed a vaccine for it. Dr. Sheila Sherlock was a renowned hepatologist who made significant contributions to the understanding of liver diseases.

4. What are some common areas of research in liver research?

Some common areas of research in liver research include studying the causes and mechanisms of liver diseases such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, and cancer, developing new treatments and medications, and improving methods of liver transplantation.

5. How can I support liver research?

There are several ways to support liver research, including donating to organizations dedicated to liver research, participating in clinical trials, and spreading awareness about the importance of liver health and the need for continued research in this field.