• Yes

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 15 83.3%

• Total voters
HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
It was that fact that you had interpreted it so incorrectly, apparently equating "finitary" with "foundations of mathematics" that made me conclude that you did not know what "Foundations of Mathematics" is. The quote you give says nothing about "Foundations of Mathematics"

CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
It was assuming that foundationns of maths is conrete compared to maths which is often abstract.

Numerical analysis is concrete; number theory is fairly concrete; foundations of mathematics is very abstract. The term "general abstract nonsense" is used of category theory (a branch of foundations) to poke fun at its abstractness!

You are right, though, that FOM is very precise. It has to be -- unlike in number theory, there's no much intuition to be had at this level!

tgt
It was that fact that you had interpreted it so incorrectly, apparently equating "finitary" with "foundations of mathematics" that made me conclude that you did not know what "Foundations of Mathematics" is. The quote you give says nothing about "Foundations of Mathematics"

I did give an indication that my generalization was wrong in an earlier post.

tgt
You are right, though, that FOM is very precise.

Now my opinion is that FOM should be easier because of nothing else except the higher precision. However, I haven't tried FOM and it might turn out to be just as hard or harder even with this precision (by being more abstract).

CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Now my opinion is that FOM should be easier because of nothing else except the higher precision. However, I haven't tried FOM and it might turn out to be just as hard or harder even with this precision (by being more abstract).

Well, give it a try and report back.