Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

People with more imagination then brains

1. Jul 4, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ok there is this kid in this other forum that is absolutely insane. Hes about 13 or something and he constantly asks everyone if he can build an insane thing or invent some insane thing and id ont know what to tell this kid. Everyone else is encouraging him and saying "anythings" possible but i swear this damn kid needs ot spend more time studying then trying to build stupid things he doesnt understand.

His current lists of ideas and inventions include:

Wants to build his own CPU to work in his computer
    Wants to build his own memory to work in his computer
    Wants to create an alternative to Freon and do it in his bedroom (and asked "Do i have to memorize the periodic table of elements to invent a replacement for freon? (CFC's)")
    ASKED US "what energy source can i invent to power a extremly low powered device such as a boombox or cell phone charger?"

Now, most of the stuff has been rather stupid but some of it is getting into that "Kid dies when he tries to mix volatile chemicals" headline type of crap. What do you say to people like this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2005 #2

honestrosewater

Gold Member

4. Jul 4, 2005 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

1. Not feasible considering one needs a very clean Si wafer and a clean room with lots of hi-tech equipment (e.g. photolithograhphic system). He also has to design the templates for the circuitry - and I am sure he'd have no idea where to start.

2. Tell him to go to Best Buy or Circuit City.

3. Replacements for Freon have been developed.

5. Jul 4, 2005 #4
    Before he try to invent, ask him how much does he knows.
    It is kind of sad when people only talks but never doing something to achieve their dream.

6. Jul 4, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Hes 14 and asked if he needs to memorize the period table of elements to invent a replacement for freon... i think that sums it up.

7. Jul 4, 2005 #6
    Maybe he's trolling trying to get somebodys goat? Maybe he has succeeded?

8. Jul 4, 2005 #7

cronxeh

Gold Member

As Astronuc pointed out - with our current electrical engineering solutions we cant easily make those cpu chips, however if you considered a biological cpu ( http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~lauria/biocpu/ ) or some other solution it would make it somewhat easier

9. Jul 4, 2005 #8
    He's trying to get somebody's goat, all right, but no way is he trolling. It sounds like he's just having fun.

10. Jul 4, 2005 #9
    I know who your talking about, or at least i think.

but whats wrong with what he/she is trying to do

11. Jul 4, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He could be just seeking attention, but he could be a curious kid who doesn't yet know his limitations and will someday look back and laugh at how naive he was to think he could do this stuff in his bedroom.

Since it sounds like there's a lot more "ideas" he has than just those you posted here, you can tell him that it's great to be curious and to want to know how to build things and to learn how they work, but making these things requires stuff that he can't work with at home or just as a hobby, such as special clean rooms, high tech and expensive specialized manufacturing equipment, and toxic chemicals that could kill him and a lot of people around him if not handled properly (and there's no way to handle them properly in a home - back to needing specialized and expensive equipment). If he really wants to learn how to build these things, tell him to stay in school and keep studying hard in his science classes, and when he goes to college, he can major in chemistry or electrical engineering (or whatever fits the "invention du jour" so he can be one of the scientists who develops new and better ways to make those).

This way, you can tell him it's not feasible to do at home and get across the message that it's too dangerous and at the same time, encourage him to stay in school and keep learning and let him know what sort of majors he might consider to work on the sorts of things he's curious about.

If he's just trying to be a pain in the butt, this approach won't do much, but maybe it will at least teach the folks saying, "Anything is possible," that their responses are badly misguided.

12. Jul 4, 2005 #11
    Well, i guess we might have to listen the manner in his speaking. Usually those who really aim to achieve something and those who just talks has different speaking tone.

And if he does really fall under the category of really wanting to achieve, than i guess he didnt mean it now, but in future times. Invention and thought need time to growth. And i suspect he might goes for electrical and robot engineering.

and for this:

13. Jul 4, 2005 #12

cronxeh

Gold Member

I think the best path (and least expensive one) would be to direct him to a local library and make him read about 5 dozen different books on topics ranging anywhere from mathematics, materials science, chemistry, electrical engineering, etc

but to be honest, unless he is either 1. highly devoted autistic kid or 2. an extremely intelligent savant who can learn by reading once, he will never succeed

14. Jul 4, 2005 #13

JamesU

Gold Member

Jeez, I was just kidding...

15. Jul 4, 2005 #14
    Fabbing a CPU or any other electronic components is definitely out. But, if he's intereted in electronics, there are some simple projects he could probably do. Building you rown radio controlled car from simple components is probably doable. People also build their own "homebrew" computers all the time, but don't expect to run Half-Life 2 on them though - and the project is probably way too out of reach for a 13 year old.

16. Jul 4, 2005 #15

cronxeh

Gold Member

he can build a radio powered on an apple or tomatoes or lemons, and use TDA 7000 transistor for FM reception - the circuit becomes very easy then. If he wants to go creative he can build the entire radio receiver inside one of those fruits, with speakers being inside and powered by other and maybe different kinds of fruits (receiver on tomatoe, speakers on lemons, etc)

Some 'fruit' batteries:
    http://www.ushistory.org/franklin/fun/lemon.htm
    http://www.unit5.org/christjs/Potato Battery.htm
    http://van.hep.uiuc.edu/van/qa/section/Electricity_and_Magnets/Homemade_Batteries/982209943.htm

Here is a link for FM receiver:
    http://www.inthelight.co.nz/electronics/tda7000.htm

17. Jul 4, 2005 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Nope, he doesnt seem to believe it. Someone told him about this facility in washington or oregon that Intel has where they manufactor processors. Facility cost $1 billion and he just goes "well... cant i just read a few books on it?"

18. Jul 4, 2005 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

No no, he seems to be very interested in doing some good but he has no idea what hes talking about. He unfortunatly thinks that he can do it at his desk while playing half life 2 on the side or something.

He wants to do it alone at his house. His reasoning was "I dont like paying so much for intel chips" and wanted to do it at that very moment.

19. Jul 4, 2005 #18

cronxeh

Gold Member

he probably just wants to build his 'own' computer and become a 'hacker' and 'impress' the chicks or his 'friends' :rofl:

20. Jul 4, 2005 #19
    I remember a guy I knew once told me very enthusiastically about this idea he had for a free energy device utilizing perpetual motion. He seemed so very excited that he could make a differance that I felt bad shooting it down. I tried to be as gentle as possible.

21. Jul 4, 2005 #20
    Actually, given the knowledge, which he can get via study, there's no reason that the kid couldn't someday design a basic cpu, etc. The catch is, that that knowledge won't come easily or overnight. Then, if he wants to actually build his CPU, he can do that too, if he has the money. He can construct a CPU on one of the available Gate Array cards available for the PC, but they are not cheap, so he had better have well-to-do parents. Then what he will get can be a very decent processor (after he has learned how), but he shouldn't expect that it will be a match for the P-4, or the PPC, etc., which he can buy much cheaper than it will cost him to design and build one. On the other hand, the experience could be valuable if he can afford it.

KM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?