People won't give up their cel phones for a month, not even for $1000000

• Thread starter fourier jr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even
In summary: Hawaii and has a luxury cell phone with no minutes!In summary, one in three people wouldn't give up their cellphone for a million dollars. As a matter of fact, they "would rather give up alcohol, chocolate, sex, tea, or coffee than live without their mobile phone for a month." Responses varied among the 1,256 participants, but the survey did found young Britons under 24 were less willing to give up their mobile, than those over 45.
fourier jr
Reuters reports that the Carphone Warehouse and the London School of Economics found that one in three people wouldn't give up their cellphone for a million dollars. As a matter of fact, they "would rather give up alcohol, chocolate, sex, tea, or coffee than live without their mobile phone for a month." Responses varied among the 1,256 participants, but the survey did found young Britons under 24 were less willing to give up their mobile, than those over 45. Makes sense since the 45 and over age group didn't grow up with cellphones.
http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/hughes/18837

I can hardly believe this. :bugeye: How could a cel phone be worth more than $1000000 to anybody?? Sure $1000000 isn't as much as it used to be but... it's only a phone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't believe it. I don't even have a cell phone because it costs $30 a month.

Even worse, its a million pounds, not a million dollars. This was a hypothetical survey. I suspect the response would have differed had they actually walked people to a bank and put one million pounds in escrow, release pending on not touching a cellphone for a month.

Hell, I'd give up sex for that kind of money.

Hang on a sec... I'm married now... I gave it up for a lot less... :cry:

D H said:
Even worse, its a million pounds, not a million dollars. This was a hypothetical survey. I suspect the response would have differed had they actually walked people to a bank and put one million pounds in escrow, release pending on not touching a cellphone for a month.

My first thoughts too. If it was an actual offer for a million (bucks or quid), that's a different thing than the intangible phrase. Even the half-wits of the cell phone generation aren't that mentally addled.

i conduct business with my cell phone so the $1,000,000 or even L1,000,000 wouldn't replace the income I would lose in a month without it. How much were they offering to give up "getting hit on the head" lessons?

jimmysnyder said:
i conduct business with my cell phone so the $1,000,000 or even L1,000,000 wouldn't replace the income I would lose in a month without it. How much were they offering to give up "getting hit on the head" lessons?

If I gave up my GHOTH lessons, I would also become perilously close to losing my "edge" (I am very good at it as it is, but it takes constant practice--get this: *whap* "Waah!") and I could lose anywhere up to 3 or 4 million dollars per week, easily.

Heck, I'd give up my cell phone for a month for $10.

I'd have no problem giving up my cell phone. Then again, unlike most college kids these days, I only use it to call people when I need to. I don't really use it to take pictures, text message, browse the web, get legal advice, chart a course to India, globally position myself, remove inflamed apendixes, do LASIC surgery, dial an address on the Stargate, make Pasta Alfredo, etc. The only reason my phone has a camera is because you can't find one without one these days.

G01 said:
I'd have no problem giving up my cell phone. Then again, unlike most college kids these days, I only use it to call people when I need to. I don't really use it to take pictures, text message, browse the web, get legal advice, chart a course to India, globally position myself, remove inflamed apendixes, do LASIC surgery, dial an address on the Stargate, make Pasta Alfredo, etc. The only reason my phone has a camera is because you can't find one without one these days.

:rofl: I agree, right down to why my cell phone has a camera on it.

Make me the offer, I promise I'll take it! If I had a million dollars, I'd hire a messenger for the month to deliver all my messages personally. :biggrin:

Give me a million bucks, you'll never hear from me again. :biggrin:

id glady except that. people only call me when they need something. bring back the pony express i say

Evo said:
I already did just that. I had an access plan with no bundled minutes that cost $10/per month, and I hardly ever used it, so I canceled the plan, smashed the phone and threw it in the trash. That felt good.

Evo said:

In your business? Not likely. I would pay someone $10/month to carry that ball-and-chain around. I certainly am given incredible grief when I forget it somewhere.

Next summer I will be in the Boundary Waters/Quetico or some other vacation spot without cell service. My most expensive son will graduate next May. I just finished writing two research proposals, but I am not the PI on either. (SUCKS! I am the author but not the PI. Some BS about my being sooo valuable to the company that they can't devote 40% of my time to anyone project, let alone devote 80% of my time ...) Final reports will be due in July. I will celebrate my tuition-free, PI-free nature with a long, well deserved cell-phone free vacation.

I don't use my cell phone for work. Even though my current employer gives me a free unlimited cell phone, it's a personal perk. Not even my boss knows my cell phone number. I never give it to clients, if I did, they'd drive me nuts. I'm often in meetings or classes and can't be reached anyway. If it's an emergency, they can contact one of my support people. It's their job to handle client emergencies when I am busy.

For a million dollars, I'll give up food for a month!

Gosh, what is it with people here hating cell phones? I love mine. I'd give it up for a month for 1,000,000USD, but that's it.

Heck, my cell phone doesn't do ENOUGH for me. I want a cell phone that not only takes pictures, but attaches the Longitude and Latitude to it as well so I can send it to people and they'd know where I'm at. Then I want it to order my pizza FOR me. Yeah! :)

Hmm That would be a better poll, find out how much $$ it would take to get people to give up cell phone usage for a month (completely).

Its hard to find a perfect figure.
1mil? of course.
100,000? ha, in a second
10,000? Yep.
1,000? Hmm. Thats a little more than 10x the subscription service. Id really have to be persuaded. I think at $5,000 Id do it without any thought.

SticksandStones said:
Then I want it to order my pizza FOR me. Yeah! :)
It will, but you need to tell it who you want to order it from and what you want...

Now that I think about this more, I would give up all forms of communication (tv, radio, internet, phone, letters, pony express) for a month for $1000000. These people are insane for saying no, and that's coming from a member of the generation to grow up with the stuff.(Well the stuff meaning everything other than the Pony Express:rolleyes:)

G01 said:

although funny i suspect you stole that from the iphone skit on snl

Technology has driven people insane. It's more addicting than drugs. Pretty soon, everybody will be stuck in their cubbyholes, doing absolutely nothing but playing with their phones.

K.J.Healey said:
Hmm That would be a better poll, find out how much $$ it would take to get people to give up cell phone usage for a month (completely).

1mil? of course.
100,000? ha, in a second
10,000? Yep.
1,000? Hmm. Thats a little more than 10x the subscription service. Id really have to be persuaded. I think at $5,000 Id do it without any thought.

Well, I think I'd hold out a bit for them to up the offer. Wouldn't want to settle on $1000 when they're willing to go as high as a million. :biggrin: But, for $5000, definitely! I'd hand over the phone, and head straight to the airport to go on a nice vacation without it. :biggrin:

What concerns me is watching these kids walking around with their cell phones glued to their ears or texting all day...do they ever have face-to-face conversations with anyone anymore, or do they think all that texting counts as social interaction?

K.J.Healey said:

1mil? of course.
100,000? ha, in a second
10,000? Yep.

I really find it hard to believe that you wouldn't give up your cell phone for 1,000 dollars per month. It can't be that important unless it is your only means of communication.

I have a friend with an import business and he travels to trade shows all around the country wholesaling jewelry, clothing, etc. His 800 number rolls over to his cell, and that allows him to keep in touch with suppliers, customers, etc. There is no way he could run his business with the very small staff he has without his cell phone. The only time he gets away from his phone is when he travels to asia to place orders and pick up his previous orders from the manufacturers (small shops of craftsmen). Then, whoever is left "minding the store" has to field the 800 number calls. He is one of the very few people that I know that really need to have a cell phone. Without it, he would have to restructure his business and add staff in the home office.

I understand how he could not be able to live without the phone. Its the people who never stop texting that should be able to part with their cell phone. However, it is these people who think that is the most essential altough it is not in their case.

Don't throw away your inactivated cell phone. You can still call 911 on it if the battery is charged.

Now that intellius is selling people's cell numbers and the personal data that goes with it for $14.95, I am a bit skeptical. It seems like every good thing ends up going to the extreme.

1. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to understand the extent to which people are dependent on their cell phones and how valuable they consider it to be in their daily lives.

2. Why do people refuse to give up their cell phones for a month, even for a large sum of money?

Cell phones have become an integral part of our lives, serving not only as a means of communication but also as a source of entertainment, information, and organization. Giving up this convenience for a month can be seen as a significant sacrifice, especially for a large sum of money that may not be perceived as worth the loss of connection and convenience.

3. Will the participants be completely cut off from all forms of communication and technology during the experiment?

It depends on the scope and rules of the experiment. Some may allow the use of landline phones or computers for work purposes, while others may restrict all forms of technology. The specifics of the experiment should be clarified beforehand to avoid any misunderstandings.

4. Are there any potential risks or benefits to participating in this experiment?

As with any experiment, there may be potential risks involved, such as feeling isolated or disconnected from others, experiencing withdrawal symptoms, or missing out on important information or opportunities. On the other hand, there may also be potential benefits, such as gaining a better understanding of one's dependence on technology and finding alternative ways to stay connected and entertained.

5. How will the results of this experiment be used?

The results of this experiment can provide valuable insights into the impact of technology on our daily lives and the extent to which we are reliant on it. This information can be used for further research, product development, or even personal reflection and self-improvement.