1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perceived motion

1. Aug 10, 2011 #1
    when floating on back, with eyes closed, I always feel as if my body is rotating slowly but steadily clockwise, but upon opening my eyes discover it has not moved. I have tried this in 2 swimming pools, a lake, the ocean--both far out & close to shore. The direction of water entering pool, waves, wakes, currents, etc have no effect on it. Does right handedness have anything to do with it? (neuro ) or being in the northern hemisphere? (geophysics) would I perceive counterclockwise motion in the southern hemisphere? It is perplexing--any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Have you discussed this with other people, right or left handed, to see if they perceive the same thing. I would suspect this is a personal matter, perhaps a slight imbalance in the inner ear rather than having to do with "handedness" or hemisphere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook