Examples of Perceived Patterns Proven Wrong

• Thread starter erszega
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Patterns
In summary, the conversation discusses examples of conjectures based on perceived patterns that were ultimately proven to be wrong, such as Fermat's conjecture about Fermat numbers and the product of consecutive primes plus one. The participants also share examples from math and science, such as a sequence of primes where the product of a prime and all lower primes plus one is also prime. The conversation also highlights the importance of not jumping to conclusions based on perceived patterns.
erszega
Dear All,

Could you give me examples of conjectures based on perceived patterns but proved to be wrong? Fermat numbers, with Fermat's conjecture that all Fermat numbers are primes, would be one example that I know of. I would appreciate elementary examples which are easy to understand.

The reason that I am asking for this is that I am doing some business studies, and I would like to persuade fellow students (and maybe the tutors), with examples, that it is very easy to jump to the wrong conclusions from perceived patterns.

Besides maths, any science example would also be welcome.

Regards

Mathematics news on Phys.org
here is one:
31, 331, 3331, 33331, 333331, 3333331, 33333331 are all prime numbers. but 333333331 (this one has eight 3's) is composite.

333333331 = 17*19607843

Last edited:
murshid_islam said:
here is one:
31, 331, 3331, 33331, 333331, 3333331, 33333331 are all prime numbers. but 333333331 (this one has eight 3's) is composite.
Cool, haven't seen that before! :smile:
(Of course, what I found surprising with this, was that the pattern didn't break down earlier).

I had a little conjecture (easily proved false) when I was a schoolkid. The product of consecutive primes from 2 to any prime PLUS one was prime.

Pattern seemed true for :

1) 2 + 1 = 3
2) 2*3 + 1 = 7
3) 2*3*5+1 = 31
4) 2*3*5*7+1 = 211
5) 2*3*5*7*11+1 = 2311

but broke down for

2*3*5*7*11*13+1 = 30031 = 59*509

Higher order terms broke the pattern too (are the remainder all composite? That would be equally fascinating if true).

Oh well, it was fun for the day or so of excitement it afforded my young mind! :smile:

(BTW, the similar sequence for product of primes MINUS one breaks down much earlier).

Last edited:
Curious3141, Sloane's http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A018239 = {2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 31, 379, 1019, ...} is the list of primes such that the product of that prime and all lower primes, plus one, is itself prime.

Last edited by a moderator:
CRGreathouse said:
Curious3141, Sloane's http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A018239 = {2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 31, 379, 1019, ...} is the list of primes such that the product of that prime and all lower primes, plus one, is itself prime.

Thanks for that. I never followed up on the sequence properly. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are some examples of perceived patterns that have been proven wrong?

Some examples of perceived patterns that have been proven wrong include the belief that the Earth was flat, the idea that the sun revolves around the Earth, and the notion that heavier objects fall faster than lighter objects.

2. How were these perceived patterns proven wrong?

These perceived patterns were proven wrong through scientific experiments and observations that contradicted the existing beliefs. For example, the Earth was proven to be round through circumnavigation and the observation of lunar eclipses.

3. Why do perceived patterns sometimes turn out to be wrong?

Perceived patterns can turn out to be wrong due to limited information or understanding at the time. As scientific knowledge and technology advance, we are able to gather new evidence and challenge previously held beliefs.

4. Are there any current perceived patterns that may be proven wrong in the future?

There are always new perceived patterns that may be proven wrong in the future. As our understanding of the world and universe continues to evolve, it is likely that some current beliefs will be challenged and replaced with new explanations.

5. How does the process of disproving perceived patterns contribute to scientific progress?

The process of disproving perceived patterns is essential for scientific progress. By challenging existing beliefs and theories, scientists are able to discover new knowledge and advance our understanding of the world. It also allows for the correction of misconceptions and leads to more accurate and reliable information.