1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Percent dissociation

1. Jan 31, 2007 #1
    Here is what should be an easy problem that I am somehow messing up

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the percent dissociation of 0.063 M Hydrobromous acid, HBrO. Do not solve the quadratic equation even if the percent dissociation is high.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I looked up K_a and found it to be 2.3*10^-9. After doing an equilibrium chart I got that x^2 = (2.3*10^9)(0.63). Therefore, x = 1.20 * 10^-5. I then divided this by 0.063 and multiplied by 100. I got 0.02% as a final answer. This does not sound right due to the hint and I was told it was wrong (online homework.

For the equilibrium table I just assumed that
    HBrO + H2O <--> H3O + BrO.

Thanks for any help. I don't know why I am having so much trouble with this one.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's a couple typos in there, but the method looks okay, and I get a similar answer. Also, it's strange that they do not give you a value of the Ka to use. Reported values are notoriously different. I've just looked and found several values between 2.0 and 2.5 (times 10-9M). Also, the software that checks your homework might require some specific number of sig figs (you've only got one).
  4. Jan 31, 2007 #3
    Yeah, it was sig figs. 0.019. Thanks. Sorry for to use you guys for such a problem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?